denon LFE+Main?

But rckpls, i guess to simply things(hah) the manual only states what affects "do" happen. It specifically says the sub gets both LFE and mains, but it does not say vice versa( the mains actually get the LFE). ??????? how do you know this? The receivers crossover only affects small regardless, I thought thats what the "small" and "large" settings were for was to bypass the crossover for the mains(or any set to "large") if you choose therefore only crossing over the top end of the sub. The LFE comes from the decoding in the DD or DTS does it not?

Does Bose take Mastercard?

I guess most people already said that in different words, but let me re-cap what my understanding is of the LFE+Main mode on my Denon AVR3803.

LFE channel (that infamous ".1") is routed to the subwoofer regardles of all other settings, as long as you have a sub connected to the system.

In "LFE" only mode the sub plays A) LFE channel B) low frequencies below the BM crossover from the speakers that are set to SMALL.

In "LFE+Main" mode, the sub plays A) LFE channel B)low frequencies below the BM crossover from the speakers that are set to SMALL and C) low frequencies from the main FR anf FL channels based on the crossover setings.

These setting affect the sub playback only. NO additional information (like ".1" for example)is sent to the main speakers no matter whether you selected LFE or LFE+Main mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C) low frequencies from the main FR anf FL channels based on the crossover settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bravo, taurus hit it on the head. Now my question to you my good man. Are the mains frequencies ever cut when they are set to "large", in any configuration, say this one I've highlighted above?

I may have to cancel my Bose Wave Radio order.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 10:12:34 PM ez8947 wrote:

But rckpls, i guess to simply things(hah) the manual only states what affects "do" happen. It specifically says the sub gets both LFE and mains, but it does not say vice versa( the mains actually get the LFE). ??????? how do you know this? The receivers crossover only affects small regardless, I thought thats what the "small" and "large" settings were for was to bypass the crossover for the mains(or any set to "large") if you choose therefore only crossing over the top end of the sub. The LFE comes from the decoding in the DD or DTS does it not?

Does Bose take Mastercard?

----------------

"Does Bose take Mastercard?"......now That's FUNNY!!

Seriously though, all the info I've provided comes directly from the AVR-1082 owner's manual, page 12. The URL for this manual is: http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/3802_1082%20Eng_Span%20DFU.pdf

Just check for yourself. It makes it all so easy to understand.....NOT!!

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:13:44 PM ez8947 wrote:

C) low frequencies from the main FR anf FL channels based on the crossover settings.

Bravo, taurus hit it on the head. Now my question to you my good man. Are the mains frequencies ever cut when they are set to "large", in any configuration, say this one I've highlighted above?

I may have to cancel my Bose Wave Radio order.

----------------

Good question :) I guess the crossover setting that is in the same OSD window just above the Sub mode selection defines the "cut off" for the low frequencies of the main channels, with the exception they are not really cut off the FL/FR but merely duplicated on the sub.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:05:07 PM TauRus wrote:

I guess most people already said that in different words, but let me re-cap what my understanding is of the LFE+Main mode on my Denon AVR3803.

LFE channel (that infamous ".1") is routed to the subwoofer regardles of all other settings, as long as you have a sub connected to the system.

In "LFE" only mode the sub plays A) LFE channel
B)
low frequencies below the BM crossover from the speakers that are set to SMALL.

In "LFE+Main" mode, the sub plays A) LFE channel B)low frequencies below the BM crossover from the speakers that are set to SMALL and C) low frequencies from the main FR anf FL channels based on the crossover setings.

These setting affect the sub playback only. NO additional information (like ".1" for example)is sent to the main speakers no matter whether you selected LFE or LFE+Main mode.

----------------

I just read your post again time and it realized that you are totally correct. I couldn't have said it better myself (obviously).

This is what Denon emailed me today.

----------

Hi,

LFE + MAIN refers to the front speakers set to LARGE. The low frequencies are output to both the front speakers and the subwoofer at the same time. When selecting SMALL for the front speakers ( LFE) then most of the low frequencies are output to the subwoofer. This is true in all modes.

--------

Sounds like when you select "LFE + mains" then the system reconizes the fronts as "Large" and when you select "LFE" the system reconizes the fronts as "Small".

This is how most all DD/DTS recievers do it.....

MAINS=SMALL: main channels are cut off at x-over point, bass from main channels are directed to sub, sub is on.

MAINS=LARGE: main channels play all freqs, sub is off.

LFE+MAINS=SMALL: main channels are cut off at x-over point, bass from main channels are directed to sub, sub is on.

LFE+MAINS=LARGE: main channels play all freqs, sub is on.

And let's not forget.....

CENTER=SMALL: center is cut off at x-over point, bass from center channel is directed to sub. (if no sub is present, bass is directed to main channels)

CENTER=LARGE: center plays all freqs.

SURROUNDS=SMALL: surrounds are cut off at x-over point, bass from surround channels are directed to sub. (if no sub is present, bass is directed to main channels)

SURROUNDS=LARGE: surrounds play all freqs.