Good Denon 3805 review and my questions

DirtRider

Hi,

I got the denon 3805 with the mic and have been fooling with it for a while. There is a good thread on avsforum on the 3805. I have some questions there on post 403 and some above if any of you care to provide some input.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3751361#post3751361

You can post input here if you want so you don't have to register elsewhere.

I am real happy with the system overall and it sounds superb but I just wish I didn't have this problem with having to adjust channel levels so much (when I change from music to dvd).

I upgraded from a cheap $300 onkyo so I am very happy. Many people complain about the remote and while not real intuitive it works once you get used to it. I think it certainly looks cool but the buttons aren't the smoothest. Nothing I complain about much though. I don't have a lot to reference to but I can't imagine getting much better than this in a receiver especially at this price. The auto equalizing works great. Similar to the yamaha rx-v1400/2400 which I demoed. The component upgrade is useful as well. The equalizer I thought was very close except for the sub for me. I am not sure why but I had to raise up the sub level manually to get to a good level. I had to raise it +3.0db for music and a good +5.0 for movies. That is the only part I am slightly frustrated with now as playing cds (actually dvd-audio) discs through the dvd player use the same input as the dvd movies so I have to manually change the channel level every time for optimal sound. If I switch to ext in for dvd-audio I think it sounds flat but I am almost positive it is because of my cheaper toshiba sd4800 dvd player. I don't know how to get around this. If you have specific questions I will be glad to respond. Hopefully I will learn something out of it. Ohh...people say the owners manual sucks too and they are right. And one more thing, this one has PLIIx from the start which is another benefit...not like the rx-v1400 I was looking for and having to worry about getting one with the upgrade.

Now all I have to do is get my TV upgraded. I have only a toshiba 27" interlaced set that is almost 2 yrs old. The tv has component which I use and it looks great but obviously it is no HDTV. I may be picking up a 50" sony lcd when they come out with the new model in Sept or possibly the new samsung DLP tantus with the HD2+ chip coming out this summer.