Dune and Children of Dune!

skonopa

I just got down watching the Children of Dune DVD that I bought a weekend or so ago. I've also watched the Dune DVD. These both are the newer Sci-Fi Channel mini-series ones, not the older 1980's version (which I'll admit was pretty good).

I thought these were actually quite good. They both have excellent soundtracks and the cinematagraphy was also really good. Also, the special effects where convincing, although some of the GGI backgrounds and the like did look a little to "clean". Some of the costuming, at lest in "Dune" was a little over the top in some places, but still pretty neat. Some of the acting could be a little better, but I thought it was well done overall. Also, since both of these programs are over 4 hours long each (a total of 8 hours of material), the action tends to move a bit slow at times. This is definitly not for somebody that is expecting alot of things to get blown up, although things do. However, if you like a lot of politicing and some of the plotting and plays for power that goes on in an effort to get control of Arrakis, then this can be quite interesting to watch.

Still for something as epic as the Dune series, I think these two mini-series/movies did a really good job of portraying Frank Hebert's epic story.

I was a fan of the late 70s David Lynch version of Dune but I got the SciFi "Dune" for xmas and it grew on me very quickly. The DTS sound is very good but I will agree the acting is a little weak at times. They are more true to the books than the David Lynch version too. I saw Children of Dune when it was on the SciFi channel, and it was pretty good too I thought. All in all not a bad way to spend a few hours.