Buzzing on Chorus II

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to identify the problem I'm having and offer a solution.

On one of my Chorus II speakers, the 15" sub makes a buzzing/rattling sound on heavy, extended-time bass frequencies. I don't think it's blown because it sounds fine except for a fairly faint buzz. I can hear it if I get close to the speaker or if I come around the back where the sub is located. Could it be a rattle in the cabinet or a problem with the speaker itself? What should I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate any suggestions.

I think the first things "I" would do is:

a) switch the left and right cable and make sure it stays with the speaker.

B) unscrew & remove the rear drone and see if the buzz goes away.

c) if not, try to identify where it is coming from.

report your findings.

Many times, a driver just needs to be tightened down or an internal wire moved. You should be able to access, or at least touch, all the drivers with the drone removed. The safest way to unscrew the drone is to remove the grill and lay the speaker face down. Remove the screws and begin to flip the speaker 90 degrees on to one of it sides. The drone "should" slip out before you have the speaker flipped. There is a foam gasket that it sometimes will stick to, but with the screws removed, it is free to come right out.

Try holding the passive from moving by placing your fingers around the outside edge of the dustcap.

Have someone run the volume up to the point where you noticed the buzzing.

If this stops the buzzing, check the dust cap to see it may be loose.

If it is not, then you may need to replace the passive KD-16-K part # 121552

If it the dust cap, a small dab of wood glue should do the trick

thastankanator,

Its interesting that you would mention "buzzing" with the Choruses. My father has a pair and he had the same problem. I thought that it may be the crossover (possibly a capacitor) or possibly a bad woofer. After some trial and error, and a call to Klipsh customer servcie, we found an extremly simple solution:

The CD player was in need of a massive cleaning of its laser lens. A simple cleaning with a CD cleaner and the problem was gone! You may want to add this to your list as well!

Milton

The rear part of the cabinet on one of my Fortes rattles like mad. It's really annoying. I find that tilting the speaker forward so that it faces the floor gets rid of the rattle at moderate volumes but only reduces it slightly at higher SPLs.