SW-8

jla956

I have a 10 year old SW-8 and was wondering if it might be time to upgrade to a larger sub. I have a Denon AVR-3803, Klipsch RB-5 II mains, RS-3 II surrounds, RC-25 center, and the SW-8 sub. I've upgraded all of my system over the past couple of years except for the sub, and some friends said it was time to move up, that this "dinosaur sub" was way too old. My system is used about 60% for HT and 40% for music. Looking forward to your feedback.

If it still works properly then it will still do now what it did when new. The SW8 is a small sub that would work decently with a pair of bookshelves in a small room or second system, but it would be well worth the money to upgrade. Would be to me anyway.

And welcome to the forum.

Keith

I upgraded from an SW 10 (which I still use for my around-the-house system) to an SVS PB2-ISD, and the difference was incredible. Especially on movies, the SW 10, which I think has a lower limit of 35hz, was constantly bottoming out. The SW 10 was OK for most music, but it was made before movie sound tracks required subs to dig down to 25, 20, or 16hz. You are missing all those frequencies with your SW 8.

You don't say how large your room is, but even a small, modern sub that can keep up with movies would put a smile on your face. You won't regret the expenditure.