Curious about 2-3 prong adapters...

ekbriggs

while i was playing around with my system today i was playing around with my amp settings and noticed an ever so slight hum coming from my big velo fsr-18. When i turned the volume on its amp all the way up the hum got pretty noticeable (i only listen at 2-3 out of 10 so i had to have my head pretty close to it to hear anything) from around 4-5 feet away in a dead quiet room (have never noticed it in movies).

I have noticed that my velo is the only component in my system that uses a 3 prong power cable and like all of my other components i have it plugged into a monster hts-2500 power center.

Thus here are my questions:

Is the hum possibly attributed to a problem with the velo amp/can it hurt the sub?

Would it be beneficial to put 2-3 prong adapters on all of my other equipment (since all of the other things are 2 prong) to isolate a ground loop(amps whcih are hk, hk-525, tv, dvd etc...)?

If others with this series velo were in my shoes would you be alarmed or just consider yourself to be overreacting?

Thanks for any that reply and please throw out all the suggestions that you can.

-Eric

When I bought the NAD amp and pre-amp the hum I had didn't get any louder as the volume went up, it was always at the same level. Drove me nuts during the quiet passages. The adapters didn't help so it all went back. Turns out the problem was in the grounding of the amp itself.