k22 on ebay

there is a pair of k22s on ebay that i am thinking about getting.does anyone see a problem with the cones being different colors?i mean what does this mean ,do you think one was reconed?i need them only because i bought an old pair of heresys that never sounded right.i finally looked inside to find 12" marked "made in japan" 100 watt 4ohm speakers in both of them.all the other drivers are klipsch anyway im hoping these k22s might sound better

thanx

I saw them and given how close the two serial numbers are, i too would guess that one has been reconed. Apart from the cone colour, the surround is visually different too.

Reconing a driver will change it's T/S parameters slightly... but given Heresies are sealed units, they are very forgiving. Klipsch has done worse over the years by varying the woofers parameters in the heresy quite significantly. So I definitely don't believe it is acoustically worse than having one original unit and a Klipsch replacement one (which we see quite often in members used units here).

The only drawback I can see would be in the resale value of your little Heresys... where the different coloured drivers would turn some buyers off, even if they sound exactly the same.

Good luck...

Rob

I thought about it, but feel your first guess is probably right given the fact that the one with the lighter cone had a "blacker" surround. The coating seems different... and I've had K22 surrounds that looked similar where dust clings more to the darker type surround.

I'm not a pro and it is not impossible that direct sun caused these effects on the one woofer... but intuition tells me otherwise.

In either case I don't think they will sound significantly different but will mostly hurt the value.

Rob