Cicadas---Inspiration for Horns?

thebes

Great ideas often come from the most unlikely of sources. A large part of this country is now inundated with the 17 year cicada. Billions of these critters sounding off at once sets up an amazing din with a sound comparable to an old '50's sci-fi flick. When listening normally it basically sounds like one note rising and falling slightly up and down the scale. But cup your hands behind your ears and wallah, the sound immediately at least doubles in volumne. The highs are more clear, the soundstate is wider and the dynamics are so intense it sound like a flying saucer is about to land on your head!

Could these strange creatures has been the inspiration for our fabled horns?

Amazing insects! They are here in abundance in the hot summer months. The amount of sound those things can produce is phenomenal. I sometimes wish I knew more about hi fidelity recording, because I think those things have musical potential -- as a kind of natural instrument! It's like thay call and answer one another!

Ironically, Moth Audio builds a speaker called 'Cicada.' 1.gif