horn subwoofer question

MiniCooperAddict

Sorry if i'm a little brief on this but basically horn loading's compromises are contradictory to automotive sound.

The low frequency cut off point of a horn is dictated by the size of the mouth of the horn... and in order to achieve 20Hz would require a huge cabinet. That is why most horn loaded bass bins do roll off pretty high. Horn loaded subwoofers are rare and are usually the size of a small room.

Car audio OTOH, requires a subwoofer to be relatively small and portable... rather than only efficient. This is the opposite of what a horn offers.

The idea is good, but the physics are against you... 6.gif

Later...

Rob

I also thought I read somewhere if you were using a horn loaded sub in such a small confined space like a car you would loose the effect of the horn loading because of something to do with the large amount of pressure created in the cabin.

I really can't remember where I read this from or even whom so I don't know how accurate the statement is but it's at least something to look into.1.gif