No wonder my system sounded bright.

cdsang

----------------

On 5/29/2004 5:40:05 PM cdsang wrote:

DrWho, what program did you use? I find it easier to use graphs them but dunno what to use. I belive Mircosoft word has bar graphs but I forget if it does line graphs.

Just to let you all know, as you can tell I have 3 RF-7s up front but the distance between them is only a few feet apart. If less then 3 feet away from the wall is bad, then I would be better off running just one speaker.

As far as room abosortion material, I would have to build boards to put the absortion matirial on.(ok i was never a good speller but I am good in math)

Anyway, I can't use my walls, and someone said that EQs sound unatural. DIY is always an option. My mom likes power tools so I have good deal tools to work with. By the way, thank you for your responces.

CD

----------------

I used Microsoft Excel. It has the auto correction built in for the Radio Shack SPL Meter. So just enter your raw data and then it spits out the corrected values and then draws a graph for you. You can do the same thing with the Microsoft Word Graph program (it's the same engine that Excel uses), but you'd have to do the correction yourself. If you would like the spreadsheet, just drop me your email and I'll send it right over. I'd like to host it, but niether my ISP nor the Klipsch forum will let me host the file type.

As far as your speaker placement...because things are so tight, you want to spread your speakers out as much as possible. I know it's not ideal in an ideal room, but I would suggest putting your mains right up next to your side walls. It will most likely cause a slight smear in the sound, but will greatly even up your frequency response and reduce any comb filtering happening with the other speakers. I'd go so far as to say to make the back of the speaker as close to the wall without touching it, and then toe in the front to point at your listening position.

"If less then 3 feet away from the wall is bad, then I would be better off running just one speaker."

It's not that "less than 3 feet" that is bad, but "3 feet itself" that is bad. Putting your speakers 1.5 feet off the wall would help to get rid of your huge 80Hz dip in your frequency response. When your speakers are 3 feet off the wall, they are canceling themeselves out at 80Hz.

(they cancel at 80Hz because the 1/4 wavelength of 80Hz is 3 feet...the sound travels 3 feet to the wall, bounces off and then travels 3 feet back to the speaker which totals a distance of 6 feet, or half a 80Hz wavelength. What this does is puts the reflected signal out of phase with the source signal, effectively canceling out any 80Hz signal).

you mentioned that your walls were wierd or something...what are they made out of? Also, what kind of sub do you have and where is it located?

I believe I may have mentioned that EQs sound unnatural. What I meant to say is that treating your room will sound more natural than trying to use an EQ. Basically, I would save the EQ to be the absolute last thing you do in order to "correct" your frequency response. And when you use the EQ, use it sparingly and don't try to totally correct anything. Partial corrections always sound better 2.gif