Pair of 1955 Khorns?

The plexiglass thing is the Klipschorn badge approximately 2 inches by 3/4 inch and attached to the the recessed part of the riser. This pair sounds very similar to mine. I attached a scan from the 1953 catalog that indicates the placement of the badge and the font.

Interested what components are in this pair. Mine have the Tru-Sonic 103 LX15s in the base bin, SA-HFs for the squawkers, and 4401 tweeters.

post-15322-13819255272912_thumb.jpg

"The early mid horn is just so much warmer and detailed sounding compared to than the later plastic and metal horns."

Not to mention the thing that sets apart the 50's era Khorns from the newer ones......the wide dispersion of sound that the K5 fiberglass/wood has over the 'toilet paper tube' mid horn found in the later models. No need to sit directly in the firing path of the horn, the whole room is a sweet spot.

I haven't heard of the practice of removing the mounting motor board, but I call tell you that neither of the 4 mid-50's Khorns I have suffer from a lack of bass over current models. I have had a pair of '71's as well as a pair of '85's. Got rid of them both. Couldn't listen to them for more than 10 minutes per sitting. Strident. Sibilent. Almost.....e-gads....raucous. Absolutely, without question, less bass output as verified by my heatkit audio sig sweep generator. I cannot speak for early 60's models, but all the mid-50's I tested have the factory stock Stephens Trusonic 103LX2 (a 15" 4ohm motor), with the bass bin having the 6" throat aperature as compared with the later ones that had the K33 (one had little round magnets, the other had the little square jobs) blowing through the 3" throat aperature.

I'd sure make sure these things had the proper woofers - all drivers in fact. Service in a dance hall could be very "heavy-duty" and the early EV and Stephens woofers don't really handle all that much power. I could easily see the drivers getting smoked during, say, some disco party in 1977, and being replaced with Radio Shack drivers. I've seen it happen.