Pics of my Home Setup

DrWho

well I finally got around to uploading some pics of my home setup and I figured that i'd share them with the forum.

I'm currently running a pair of 1978 Marantz 940 Mains with a Denon 1803 Reciver.

For the center I have the SC-1

and for rears I have the Bose 4.2 Bookshelf "Stereo Everywhere" Speakers.

HomeSetup.JPG

Needless to say, it's a very interesting combination of speakers, but I've been rather suprised about how well they sound together.

post-10350-13819255320304_thumb.jpg

and here is my frequency response running in 2 Channel Stereo

roomresponse.gif

The dips at 1800 and 3200Hz are due to the measuring technique used and aren't part of the "real" room and speaker interaction.

Notice that at 18Hz, the response is only down 6dB...thus why I have no justified need for a subwoofer.

post-10350-13819255321858_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

eeep, no replies! was it something I said? I know it's not a hardcore "klipsch system" but I do have that one lonely Klipsch SC-1 center channel.

I've since moved out and taken the mains with me to Michigan...that means the bose in the back have become the main speakers again. I hope someday to get my dad to purchase a pair of RF-35's (I don't think I could get him to purchase RF-7's) and I'll have him mount the speakers the same way (on their side on top of the entertainment center). Has anyone else had any experience with mounting their speakers higher in the air? I personally think it sounds way better than when they were on the floor.

Also, I've gotten plenty of PM's regarding the graph that plots the frequency response. I used a CD with test tones, a Radio Shack SPL Meter, and a program I wrote in excel to compensate and graph the recorded values. I can't find any cost effective hosting that will allow me to upload the excel file to the interent, but if you'd like a copy, just PM me your email address. Or if someone out there could host it, that'd be cool too.

are you sure a sub wouldn't help? i'm sure it sounds good...but find it difficult to imagine you are getting proper LFE from that setup without the obligatory sub thumping away. 1.gif

i would think you are heavy in the mid-bass and all of the LFE is "there" but not at proper volumes when competing with the upper frequencies.

Honestly, im not sure if a sub would help or not...I've listened to lots of HT's and the bass they get with their subs sounds different than the bass I get out of these speakers. Would it be fair to say that different subs add their own kind of coloration to the signal? (not saying either is better). I've always felt that other systems with subs sounded more punchier, which would correlate to other systems having more midbass (the frequency response would also support this considering the huge peaks between 30 and 50Hz and the shallow dips around 80Hz). At the same time though, I find the punchy sound to be a bit unnatural and fatiguing after long sets of listening.

I do know that the woofer in the mains crosses over somewhere around 300Hz so I suppose that adding a sub would allow my woofer to move less resulting in less modular distortion. But since I don't have the money right now for a good sub, I might as well pretend it won't help 2.gif