video card problem??

aukoh

hmmm recently i've been having a problem...my computer either restarts or freezes w/o any notice. i believe it's the drivers of my video card b/c when i restart windows theres a window that pops up saying that its some "nv4_disp" problem. now i think that's pretty close to a video card file.

here's the specs of my computer:

CPU: P4 2.4ghz Northwood

MOBO: Asus P4PE (BIOS VERSION 1007)

Vid Card: Asus FX5200 (DRIVER: Asus nv5672)

HDD: Maxtor 80gb (2mb)

Seagate 40gb (2mb)

RAM: 256mb DDR333 (Samsung)

256mb DDR333 (Elixir)

i believe it is the driver of my videocard...i have uninstalled my vid card drivers and restarted in safe mode and re-installed the drivers (even the newer version ones) but i think the one i have now is the most stable (only restarts once every couple days) but im looking for a driver that works for you guys...if you could help me, thanks a bunch.

yes, i've found out about omega drivers...so far so good!

thanks.

as to the question about rolling back drivers, i had nothing to roll back to. when i first got it, i just used the one from the cd. then it started screwing up on me, so i've tried different drivers, in various websites n all, but yea, i asked a buddy of mine about them and he told me about omega drivers, and so far so good!

thanks.

btw, if anyone has the same problem, this is the driver i'm using right now...

http://downloads.driverheaven.net/omega/nvidia_wxp_omega_15303.exe

I had a similar problem with my Geforce FX5600. It turned out that when I was doing my windows updates I accidentally downloaded the driver for my card from there. Well little Billy Gates has a bad driver for the Geforce cards. Don't know if that's what you did but just make sure that you only get the drivers form the official website and not from Microsoft.

i dont believe that was the case, i dont do windows updates...all i have is the SP1 for winxp.

hmmm this morning when i woke up, i checked my computer and it did freeze...so idunno...i'm gonna try this driver for another week or so, but i dont think it's too much of a problem.

If those drivers work for you then great, but if not then head over to nvidia's website and get the WHQL Certified set. I believe the current version (56.72) is certified. WHQL certified drivers are supposedly tested to MS specs so that they are stable. I would also urge you to get the driver cleaner from driverheaven and use it prior to installing another set of nvidia drivers.

thanks darkpark, i'll give that a shot

this is what i plan to do...

uninstall my current driver (omega) then use the driver cleaner and re-install the omega driver.

if it freezes or randomly reboots, i'll uninstall the omega use driver cleaner then install the 56.72 driver from the nvidia site.

you should update your OS. i always keep current on windows updates. and make sure your running the current version of DX.

driver cleaner is a must and start with the WHQL drviers form nvidia. i would go with the second newest drivers to be safe.

i had problems with omega drivers for some reason, so i reverted back to ATI.