Update-- Re: RF-3IIs harsh sounding

Pistol Pete

Awhile back I posted that I was unhappy with my RF-3IIs for 2 channel music , especially at high volumes. I have no complaint for their HT duty though.

A. After trying many DVD players and an MSB Link II external DAC I pretty much gave up on trying any more source components.

B. I then treated my room and got good results but none that really addressed this particular problem.

C. I then posted to this forum and I got alot of suggestions, changing the amp and/or pre-amp looked like a good option....I love my Yamaha RX-V3300 so I ruled that out , however I did buy a Parasound HCA-1500A and it did help to some degree but again it help in other areas more which is a good thing but again my inital issue was still there.

D. I put my speaker up for sale....but not at such low price that they would sell too fast so that way I had time to make sure the decision was correct....anyhow I still have them all.

Let me list of audio equipment:

Klipch RF-3II , RC-3II and RB-25s for surrounds

Dual 18" IB with BFD EQ and 1800 watt QSC amp

Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver

Parasound HCA-1500A amp for mains

Denon 2200 universal player

Monster 2600 power center

All connected with good quality Monster and AudioQuest cables

Ok now for the "accident".....

E.....was not planned, I purchased an old CDP-C85ES 5 disc changer

off of Ebay ...I did not really want it that much but for the price I paid I figured why not.

I first ran the digital output for a day or so and was pretty happy how well the old player worked...the next day I connected the analog outputs and LOW AND BEHOLD...THE HARSHNESS LEFT! Maybe not every drop of it but certainly 90% of it...I am talking night and day though!

At first I thought , well this is just an old player that probably sucks and its just muffling or coloring the sound...but after more listening I found that its not doing this..the sound is still lively as it ever was the only difference is it sounds cleaner and the harshness left.

So there you have it...the source d/a conversion process was the cultprit...the Yamaha has Burr Brown DACs on the front 2 channels yet these are harsh....the Denon 2200 also has Burr Brown DACs...harsh too.

My old Pioneer 563A sounded better than the Denon 2200 for redbook CDs. :)

Well thats it for now, I got some more listening to do.....

You can blame the Yamaha but also the Denon and MSB Link DAC....interestingly all of the above use Burr Brown DACs...I am not sure what this Sony uses.

BTW I dont really want to get on a Yamaha harshness deal because actually the Denon is harsher than the Yamaha.

I have a 77es player and it is great also. My father has the 701es I think. They are some of the best cd players out there. Sure there is better but not for the money. Try using it with the varible out directly to your amp. Bypass the receiver. It will sound so good, it will blow your mind.