DIY sub? Can I call it that?

om13934

I have an el cheapo 200 watt (probably overrated) amp, and I'm looking for an el cheapo 8 to 10 inch driver to pair with it that would be efficient enough to run well connected to the amp. And I'm telling you I have no idea what its actual output is. This is just a fun project I'm trying. This sub will be complimenting my Sony micro shelf system, so it doesn't have to be anything special, It just needs to extend the range of my system a bit. The funny thing about this amp is it was in a box that said 160 watts, but there was a sticker over the 160 that read 200, so I don't know whether the manufacturer updated the amp and not the box, or if the dealer I bought it from tried to make the amp sound bigger than it was. Also, if you have any tips on how to make an el cheapo box that won't rattle that'd be great! The key word here is CHEAP! Thanks2.gif

Not sure of what classifies as "cheap" for the driver?? 20$, 50$ 100$ ??

How about something like the DAYTON 10" SERIES II WOOFER at under 60$ (+shipping).

I didn't model it in WinISD... but obviously it won't perform like the Adire Audio Shiva at 125$ (+shipping) or the TITANIC MKII SUBWOOFER at over 135$ (+shipping)

Did you find anything else yet?

Rob

----------------

On 6/20/2004 12:40:32 PM om13934 wrote:

Would it be alright to look at cheap car subs, or are they so different that it wouldn't work well?

----------------

Get the Theil/Small parameters of the drivers you are looking at and plug them into WinISD (freeware) to get an idea how it'll perform. If a driver doesn't have T/S parameters listed... i wouldn't bother with it.

Car subs usually compromise either bass extension or efficiency (or both) in order to fit in small enclosures. If size isn't an issue, a HT sub will normally perform better but require a larger cabinet.

Later...

Rob