Which speakers?

Luzendel

Hi, I want to buy good speakers for my computer but I dont know which!

I will use these speakers essentially to listen to CD music and mp3 music.

I am considering Klipsch speakers but I'm not sure. My main stereo system is composed of JM-Lab speakers, I love clear sound without extra bass. I know that Klipsch speakers have a special midrange that not everybody love. Could someone explain me this 'special' sound.

I will listen to Prog/metal like Dream Theater but also to Jazz/Flamenco like Al Dimeola and new age stuff like Mike Oldfield and Gnomusy.

Would the Klipsch be a good choice for me?

I know I should listen to them but right now, I cant. What others PC speakers should I look for? I dont want to pay more than $300 US so I cannot afford the 5.1 system. (will I really miss something?)

Thank you for helping me!

Well, what you refer to as "special midrange" is nothing more then what I see as ultra-clarity, which in some ways can be a bad thing for certain people. Klipsch speakers have those horn tweeters which are virtually non-exsistent in the rest of the audio world. Especially with computer speakers.... i can almost guarantee you won't find speakers with horn tweeters for the computer. Those horn tweeters, i belive, are what give ALL klipsch speakers that klipsch sound. Personally for home audio speakers, I don't like it thier sound, it's not bad, but I like smooth sounding speakers. As far as computer speakers go, that clarity is what sets these pro-media speakers apart from all the other 50 dollar boom-box sounding speakers that are out there. NO, AND I REPEAT, NO computer speakers even come remotey CLOSE to ANY pro-media speakers. That is just a fact, and no i do not work for the klipsch company, hehehe. Trust me, the second you here any beuatiful, clear, high or smooth, rich, crystal clear, and hipnotic mid come out of the sats, you'll know what i'm talking about. Not to mention that the sub is leaps and bounds better then any computer sub out there. It is extremely deep, but also very musical. Do the right thing, buy klipsch computer speakers. The only computer speakers made by a strictly ultra high quality speaker company, (no crapridge soundworks does not count).

side note-yes, i realize it sounds like i contradict myself about the mids with klipsch speakers, but i'm just saying that they kick *** as far as computer speakers go. Now if i was comparing home theather klipschs to other home theather brands, they wouldn't get the same praise.

hope this helps....

------------------

I like sounds.

Those Videologics look like they could sound really good. The drivers just look very well built. I've never really seen any information on videologic speakers before, but I would certainly give them a try and compare them to the Klipsch's speakers.

Monsoons on the other hand, I don't really understand how you could compare monsoons to klipsch. In my eyes, monsoons are no diffrent from altec lansing, labtec, cambridge soundworks, crapcetera, crapcetera, crapcetera.......

Smile.gif

------------------

I like sounds.

Review from 3D Sound (Klipsch vs Videologic):

For overall connectivity, the Crossfire is the easy winner. If you are looking for the flat out loudest system then the Crossfire is the system of choice, but both are more than loud enough for most applications in a normal sized room. In terms of overall acoustic accuracy its again clearly the Videologic Sirocco Crossfire even though some listeners may prefer the enhanced sense of detail and energy offered by the ProMedia. I definitely preferred listening to most music using the Crossfire at any volume and even more so at louder volumes where the Crossfire offers clearer (distortion free) and sound than the ProMedia, which becomes all the more apparent at the upper power levels of the respective systems. ... As noted earlier, while both subs are excellent at their default levels, I find the Crossfire sub better suited for cranking up the levels for music so even rap fans should be happy with the sub unless you want to shake the room.

hmm... nooooo! Is there REALLY a big difference? Worth an additionnal 200$? Can we buy this system at the UK price or must we absolutely pay like 500$??

Anyone have listen to the two systems? Is the crossfire much clearer?

Thanks!

I hope they update their site. The article is the v.2-400, not the 2-4.1. In their review of the 2.1, they said things were a lot different. The midrange hole was fixed, and they also said that the extension was better than the crossfire and any other pc speaker on the market(the kept saying that the ba was better, but they aren't sold anymore) The midrange problem is gone on the promedia, but the crossfire still has better drivers, which gives them the edge. The difference in quality is not worth the extra money, the pros sound good enough in my opinion. The dual 8' sub is also a plus. Keep in mind that computer sound doesn't sound that good to start with so adding really good speakers to it is a waste. There is a difference, but not as much as if you listened to a cd.

The 3DSS review of the 4.1 (with the improved midrange)is expected very soon. If you can't wait, you can get a pretty good idea of the improvement by checking out their review of the ProMedia 2.1.

Probably the main difference between the crossfires and the new 4.1 (since the midrange has been fixed) is the the up-front Klipsch sound (which some find harsh) vs. the more laid back crossfire sound. If you prefer the latter and don't want the subwoofer power of the ProMedias, and can't afford the price tag of the crossfires, the Monsoon MM-2000 is a very good option.

Head to head comparisons between the MM-2000 and the above two are also expected soon at 3dss , but you can get a good idea of what to expect with their MM-1000 review.

Hi, thank you for all the information..

I will wait for the review and try to listen to the two systems before I buy..

I found a place where they sell the crossfire for only 50$ more than the pro..

Is it easy to plug the pro on a tv or a CD player?

And should I consider the 5.1 system even if I will use these speakers essentially for listening to music?

Thanks!

Here's a little story. In my animation studio over here in England, I sit at one end of the studio and one of the other directors sits at the other end - about 60ft away.

My workstation has a set of ProMedia 4.1 speakers plugged into it, his has the DigiTheater DTS (both cost about the same over here - around £300-350).

Which system do the animators prefer to listen to? 4:1 it's the ProMedias.