best dvd under 600

tlynch6988

the 2900 tube mod is very new and I'm not aware of any long time users of other mods by Dan. I've read many reviews on different forums of users who had their player modified by Modwright, Emperical auido and others and they all seem to say it was worth every penny! Of course, this is High-end audio where the performance improves slightly with notable price changes.

I think I will focus on Red Book and have the jitter reduced in the 2900 as a transport and then have the Empiracle Audio Turbo mod to the PT P3A DAC. I'll then add Speaker Only Correction Software to the P1A for the ultimate source!

The PT gear has been running strong for years. I hope the 2900 can hang.

It all starts at the source!

----------------

On 6/29/2004 5:41:54 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

Of course, this is High-end audio where the performance improves slightly with notable price changes.

----------------

If you want to surprise yourself, go buy a Samsung HD841 for $200 at someplace with a good return policy like BB. To my surprise and amazement, the analog audio performance was more than the slight improvement you talk about by spending $1200 on upgrading the the 2900. The upper frequencies seem much more transparent and the bottom end is decidedly more sonorous than the 2900. Female vocals especially seemed to open up quite a bit from the rather compressed sound they had with the 2900. I didn't think the sound was compressed till I heard the difference. Most important, do your own listening,then.....if the 841 doesn't sound stunning with YOUR system...you can always return it.

Of course there are some people who would be embarrassed to say they had a $200 player in their $15,000 system. I am not one of them!

My 2900 has been relagated to duty in the master bedroom in favor of the 841 after comparing them side by side.

----------------

On 6/29/2004 7:11:52 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

----------------

If you want to surprise yourself, go buy a Samsung HD841 for $200 at someplace with a good return policy like BB.

Of course there are some people who would be embarrassed to say they had a $200 player in their $15,000 system. I am not one of them!

----------------

Not I, no matter if it costs $50 or $5000, if it looks or sounds good, I am all for it, with respect to any system in my house. Currently, the 2900 and the Zenith 318 will be fighting for attention with my primary system (one for audio, one for video). However, I am always looking for ways to improve. Jerry, based on your experience, I may pick up a Samsung just to see what it does. If I do, I will certainly post my thoughts. Thanks for the tip.

Carl.