sacd player for dummies

What does everyone here think about the decware, has anyone heard it?

I've done reading and looking and for everyone interested heres a list.

Right now if I bought one I would get the decware. It can play dvd video, mp3 cd's, sacds (i think dsd sacds) correct me if I'm wrong. How do you think the decware would hold up to music hall maverick? For half the price, i think it would have same or better sound.

Toshiba SD9200 I've read has some video problems

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arcam diva cd73t http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/hifi/cd73.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cambridge Audio

Azur 640C

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6726&sku=CAMB640C&selAttribute_1=Silver

Model DEC-685 Sony 5-Disc DVD/CD/SACD Changer, Model DVPNC685V

https://athena.safe-order.net/decware/SACD/sacd.htm

This SACD player features a single ended triode output stage where the tube is visible and accessible from the rear. When paired up with the 24/192KHz DAC, this tube output stage makes this player into a true audiophile source.

PM, thanks for your email, I made a reply.

I've had the Dec 685 up and running since last Friday night and it is changing its sound (for the better) every time I sit down and listen to it.

The output stage puts out about 3.5 volts so it really sends a powerful signal to your amp or preamp. . . when you use a 12AU7 tube. I've been using a 12AX7A tube which at this stage of the game I prefer a bit to the 12AU7A that I have (both are Mullards)--seems to give a bit of a smoother and warmer sound. The first night this machine had an electronic sound that was NOT present with my Dynaco CDV 2 tubed player, but that has slowly burned away and there are moments of listening now with real body to the sound, imaging and soundstaging that are as good as I've had, and I feel this is going to be a really good player when it has totally settled in.

It is a very versatile machine: will play any two channel or multichannel SACD (the tubed output stage is only two channels however, but the stock outputs of the machine are all active and the sound from them is not bad at all); will play dvds, mp3s and of course cds and cdrs---so far it has played any cdr I have thrown at it which is good as the Dynaco had developed a pickiness that was frustrating me.

I've been buying Decware products since 1997 and love their engineering, value per dollar, and customer support. Their products have transformed my listening; my main system now contains their EL34 Monoblocks and Radial RL2 speakers as well as the Dec 685 SACD machine. Strangely, I believe because of the type of power supply components that Steve builds with (way overrated/sized for their tasks), Decware products seem to take considerably long to "break in" and the road to a totally broken in component can be bumpy and hilly! But they are returnable up to thirty days, and listen for thirty days, that usually will cover breakin. I've never sent one back! I've bought three different amps and had two sets of the speakers (bought the original Radials RL1s and then got them upgraded to the RL2 when they became available!) I'm a customer for life.

Here's a link to a thread on their forum that discusses "initial impressions of the Dec 685" from about three or four owners:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Digital&action=display&num=1087471010&start=0

I haven't heard, nor know anyone who has heard, the Maverick player.