Question for you guys. Sub and mains?

DaveM

Well since I got my subwoofer to add to my HT setup I have a question. Now my reciever (Yamaha HTR-5660) doesn't have a set-able cross over just speakers being large or small. Large is full range and small has them run 90hz+.

Well question is with my SVS its a 16hz tunned model will i be losing alot of upper punch that my mains could supply by cutting them as small speakers and letting the sub do the 90hz and down.

I was wondering how one of you would set it up. I mean like maybe setting the speakers as large, setting it to send bass to just the subwoofer and crossing it over like at 50-60hz range instead of 90hz. Of course I would need to mess with the phase setting on the sub then to get it to work together but do you think it would sound better with the mains putting out below 90hz so i wouldn't have to cross this sub so high.

LMK guys,

Thanks,

DaveM

My understanding of "bass to mains & sub" or "bass to sub only" refers to the .1 channel only, meaning that the first setting will allow the main speakers (if set to large) to reinforce the sub in playing any content in the .1 channel. All bass in the other 5 channels would still go only to the main LARGE speakers and not to the sub (but I could be wrong about that).

If you find the 90hz too high to cut your bass, you could connect the sub via the speaker connections for your mains and say SUB=None/Mains=Large in your Yammy setup. That will give you infinitely variable crossover using the x-over in the sub, if you connect your mains to the speaker terminals on the sub.

I have basically the same set up and have experimented extensively.

In the end I set the reviever to sub only, my floorstanding

mains to small and set the cross over on the sunfire sub to 40 hz.

The Klipsch sub's internal cross-over is by passed and set to 80hz by the

reciever. And like yours the receiver crossover is internally set to 80.