Front effects with Denon 5800

red_eye

I would like to add some front effects speakers to my home theater setup. Up front I'm using KLF30's paired with KSW15's and a KLF-C7 center. The receiver is the Denon 5800. I would like to add KLF20's for front effects but need a good effects generator. (I can see you Yamaha owners smiling now). Anyway, can someone recommend a good unit for this job? I will be driving the KLF20's with the Denon POA-5200. TIA.. Skip

------------------

Fronts: KLF30's paired with KSW15's.

Center: KLF-C7

Sides: KSP-S6's paired with Pinacle Baby Boomers.

Rears: KLF-20's with one KSW-12 in between.

Denon AVR-5800

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-A with iScan Pro(Prog scan)

Sony KP-53XBR300 TV

Denon DCM5000/DCM5001 CD Changers

Denon CDR-W1500 CDRW

Denon TU-1500RD Tuner

HHB CDR850 Pro CDRW

Tascam DA-302 Dual DAT

ButtKicker/Behringer EX-1200/Carvin DCM-1000

Monster HTS5000/HTS2500

There's too much I admire in Denon's 5800 for me to laugh. I just hoped they would have front effects in the next iteration.

Red-eye, I started to upgrade to a 5800 (even auditioned it at home) but got cold feet over the front effects issue... I would rather have front effects than a second side surround option. I am using inverted KLF 10's for front effects and probably prefer them of the KLF 20's in this special case. Of course, for HT, I also prefer the Yamaha RX-V3000 over the top-of-the-line RX-V1 with its 10 extra watts per front effects channel.

It is no secret that I like a full-sounding "Klipsch Sound," and mounting "high & wide" front effects to my herd of KLF 30's gave me that bigger than all outdoors background sound stage... and that lets my front KLF 30 array steal the show.

It doesn't take much to drive front effects speakers to perfection... and in my trials I liked tube amps best... I just couldn't find a configuration that filled the front effects bill in a side-by-side comparison with the V3000. I just couldn't see spending another grand or so and losing the front effects.

I eagerly await any report of your good fortune in this area. Happy hunting... and audition where you can! HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

Hey Guys,

I guess the front effects thing is a personal taste issue as is DSP. I tried a Yamaha DSP-A1 for a few months (still have it sitting in a box my closet). Granted, I was using KSB 1.1s, but I didn't really care for the way it augmented the sound stage.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

ColaBear, good to hear your friendly growl... the RX-V1 didn't agree with me either. In fact, my first few forays in setting up a front effects enhanced sound stage also left me cold as do most DSP's. But, when I finally learned how to ride that 'cycle the joy has become a daily trip! cwm35.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-17-2001 at 09:58 AM

Thanks for the input Ed & ColaBear. Any impressions of front effects are greatly appreciated! Perhaps I should have given a bit more info on my intentions. Since I have no experience with adding front effects, my plan was to experiment a bit and see what it's all about. The overkill KLF20's and POA-5200 amp are all I have to work with at the moment, so that becomes a given for now, as does the 5800. I am only looking for a good front effects generator. I did not want to prejudice the thread with preformed ideas, but here goes. I'm currently thinking Behringer Virtualizer Pro DSP-1024P at $150. It has 24-bit converters and processing. A software package provides for generating effects based on your room description. You can find it at Behringer.com.. TIA.. Skip

• 4 weeks later...

Well ColaBear, you were right. I am over the Virtualizer and DSP. Not my cup of tea either. However, I still think I may have a future with front effects. I exchanged it for a Behringer Edison EX-1 at $190. No testing to report because my 5800 died (after one year). Fortunately, I bought from an E'tailer and not a B&M shop so they sent me a new one immediately. Love the internet! In the meantime, does anyone have any thots on front effects with Denon???

------------------

Fronts: KLF30's paired with KSW15's, KLF-C7

Front effects: KLF20's

Sides: KSP-S6's paired with Pinnacle Baby Boomers.

Rears: KLF-30's with one KSW-12 in between.

Backs: KSP-S6'S, KLF-C7

Denon AVR-5800

Denon POA-5200 for front effects.

Denon POA-8300 for Backs

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-A with iScan Pro(Prog scan)

Sony KP-53XBR300 TV

Denon DCM5000/DCM5001 CD Changers

Denon CDR-W1500 CDRW

Denon TU-1500RD Tuner

HHB CDR850 Pro CDRW

Tascam DA-302 Dual DAT

ButtKicker/Behringer EX-1200/Carvin DCM-1000

Behringer Edison EX-1 for front effects.

Monster HTS5000/HTS2500

samuel r, well you know about as much as me.. evidently the Yamaha receivers have 2 additional low power channels that generate "front effects".. my understanding is that it attempts to widen the front soundstage with speakers placed above and outside your fronts. I think Qman uses it with upside down LaScalla's on top of his K-Horns and HornEd with KLF10's upside down on top of audio racks positioned outside his 30's. I would like to experiment to see what it sounds like but the Denon does not support front effects and so far, no has been able to suggest an appropriate effects generator. I will find time to try the Behringer Edison EX-1 next week and will post results here.

hey there red eye. i looked into the behringer website and checked into the edison ex-1. the only thing i want to know is how much does it cost? there is no price list and it doesn't show any dealer locators. i will look into regular music/dj shop sites to see if they carry the ex-1. i already have some beautiful sound emitting from my 4800/rf-3 combo, but that ex-1 sounds real nice. please let me know if you find a price or dealer(s). i'll do the same.Smile.gif

red eye, me again. i looked into the sam ash website and they no longer carry behringer products. i also called and they said it really didn't perform up to expectations. they carry an effects processor by bbe. it is the bbe482. it simply hooks into the eq input(tape2 monitor). i just don't know if it's worth trying. it's not to expensive either. i may give it a try in the near future.

red eye! sorry to put another reply in so soon. but i'm at work and have lot's of time to look up stuff. going back to the bbe482 site, i stumbled across a processor made for home stereo instead of a pro/semi-pro piece. it is the "ars" model. has a black finish instead of the pro look (blue and black) and claims to have the same stuff inside as the 482 has, just made for home use. has good reviews as well. this is a definate must try.

samual r: Just saw your post.. I got the Edison from Eric at alphamusicva.com for $189. He said he heard it at a show and it sounded great (who knows).. I will surely check into the bbe482/ars at sam ash. Will not get the Edison hooked up for a few more days but will post what I learn. Thanks for helping me out here. Skip.

hey red eye, i called sam ash and guitar center. the ars apparentley isn't being sold anymore, just online at the bbesound.com site. BUT, the sales rep. at sam ash told me the 482 was a better unit because it has dual discrete adjustments(one for each l/r channel) that makes for a better overall sound production. the only drawback is if i get it, i will mount it out of sight because it looks too professional for my livingroom setup. the ars sells online for $199.00 and the 482 sells at sam ash and guitar center for the same price. it lists for $349.00. i feel it may be worth going for the pro model just for the hell of it. plus if you don't like it, then a refund will do just fine.Smile.gif

samuel r:

Hey I visited the BBE site and did the demo thing.. interesting. Seems like there is not much to lose by trying one. I am thinking of adding it before the Edison/5200 to add to the front effects 20's. I'm not concerned about the color because I have some other pro audio stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb. But I think the ARS is better for me cause I can't see where I would want different levels in the left and right. I think I would set it and forget it (I hope).. I didn't really plan to use the front effects for music at all, but only to expand the soundstage during movies (hence the Edison). Thanks again Samuel.. look for more later next week.. Skip.

hey red eye, sam again. well, i contacted guitar center about the ars, i was told they don't sell it anymore, just online. BUT he did say the 482 would be the better way to go. he claims it has better sound quality overall. it is selling for the same price as the ars is online---$199.00. it was around $350.00.