Database Software

JBP

Doesn't have anything to do with Klipsch but thought I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone have experience with database software? I'm looking at FileMaker Pro 7, any opinions? Are there any other brands to consider? Thanks

• Like 1

Databases

There are several, including the MS Access, SQL, free My SQL and the giant, Oracle. There are also a dozen database like products specifically tailored to many businesses. Quick Books for example, has a contact manager module which integrates with their accounting package.

Customer service software

There is a fine line between automating the sales force and customer relations management (CRM) software, but as an organization grows, the opportunity to tap the horsepower of computers for greater profit exists with these unique programs. Saleslogix costs from $600 to 10 thousand and requires programming to meet an organizations needs, but it has strong ties to Microsoft Outlook and can use SQL database. Programming might cost as much as 10 thousand.

The largest databases are relational and distributed. The two leaders are Oracle and Microsoft SQL. The easiest database to use, and less expensive than Oracle, is Microsoft SQL. It is 20 thousand and requires Windows Server operating system, or can be purchased for as little as $600 in a small business version. SQL has to be programmed for the reports you need. I was trained by PC professor in Windows Network engineering and Microsoft SQL.

What do you need? How many now, how many in 5 years? What reports do you need? What lists do you need? What information must be accessed by how many people? How many times a day?

Often custom- made or customized programs, that do unique things are available in the industry these are often worth their gilded price because, when used properly, they can make you money. I once sold doctors office management programs. These are big multi-user databases that managed accounts receivable and payable, along with patient and clinical information. They made money for the doctors.

10.gif

MySQL is free (as in no cost without support) for personal use, costs money to use commercially. Postgresql is free ( as in no cost, and you get the source code if that interests you). If this is for a Windows computer, the postgresql windows port is still in a pre-beta mode, and may not be suitable.

MySQL is small and fast, but doesn't support some of the advanced features that the big boys do. Really it would depend on what you are using it for. Postgresql is more feature rich, but a little slower. It really depends on what you want to use it for, what platform you want to run it on, and what your technical level is.

Technical level is very low. I'm looking for something straight-foward, fairly easy to use and learn. I have XP and will be using the software for personal, inventory list for homeowner's insurance, dvd collection, financial records, ect...

Instead of having to purchase several software programs, one for dvd collection, one for home inventory, ect... I'd like to find something that I can customize. Thanks

• Like 1

Simple short household lists of a few hundred items can easily be kept in MS Word, Excel or Works, which almost all Windows PCs have. MS Access is also available in many versions of MS Office. It is a simple database program.

Just writing your checks through Money or Quicken is easy enough way to record all your financial information, which you can port over to a tax prep software. Since you do want to customize, create the inventory tables in either Word or Excel. Books and classes on these are available everywhere. There are also cheapo prgoagrms for just these purposes sold at the business stores for a 20 bucks or so. These are usually very simple, cant really be modified and work easilyup to a certain point, but they have a lot of value for the money.

10.gif

My vote would be or MS Access if you already on it on an Office cd. Easy to use, you can create custom front-end forms very easily.

I've used FileMaker Pro on my mac in the past (its been years..) but it was very easy to use as well, never had a problem with it.

You can always download MySql since its free and see if it fits your needs before you spend 300$ on a database program:)

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysqlcc.html

There are various GUI front ends for Mysql available for free, it comes with a fairly basic control center GUI for inputing data, retrieving it.

screen shots available at:

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/screenshots.html

If you ever wanted to get more into it, its fairly easy to write webpages that interface into the Mysql database using PHP (you might even be able to find some on the web for things like cds,dvds)

Creating a table in Word, or a list in Excel is far simpler and easier to learn how to do that programming or creating a new file in a true database, unless you like or need to develop such skills. Besides, if you search the Knowledge base at Microsoft.com, I am sure you will find templates already created for such purposes for either Word, Excel or Access or both. The other thought is to check out what they have at your work, so you can pick up skills that might someday be useful.

Old MS Office versions abound. These programs are NOT copy-protected and a Office 97 version with Access can be picked up for a song. The benefit to that is that you are developing a skill with the industry standard entry-level Database application, one that runs pretty much like Excel anyway.

FileMaker is a leader in mid-scale relational databases It is easy to develop, use, and deploy.

Compared with Microsoft Access, FileMaker is more usable, but Access is better for larger-scale applications with specific programming needs.

If you're ready to dive into databases, PC Magazine recommends Access. It offers power while remaining easy to use. Access supports multiple tables, as well as modules and macros to automate tasks. Its query and analysis tools, allow you to extract and analyze data seamlessly. If you know Office, you'll know how to start with Access.

10.gif