Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 + laptop + MP3 player

BJG718

I definitely want to get these speakers, however, I am trying to figure out what would be the most effective and cheapest method of getting all three of these electronics to work. I have a laptop and I do not believe it supports a 5.1 system. It is not necessary for the MP3 player to be able to work with the speakers, but it would be nice. Anyways, I was thinking of getting the DD 5.1, Soundblaster Extigy, Audigy 2 NX, or Xitel Pro hi-fi in order to accomplish what I am trying to do. Is this what I should do, or is there a better way to get all of the speakers (and sub) to work in unison with the laptop/MP3 player. thanks

-brendan

Guest Damen Bonner

Thank you for your inquiry.

My suggestion would be to purchase an external 5.1 sound card. The sound card will allow you to get all 5 of the satellite speakers and the subwoofer, and the volume control tower for the Promedia Ultra 5.1 has an auxilary jack that you can use for the MP3 player.

BJG718: I could be totally off-base here, but I really think the only component you may need to "marry" your stereo audio outputs on your laptop to a set of Klipsch ProMedias 5.1 Ultras is the Klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1 Digital Decoder (if it's still available) and a couple of min-plug to RCA connection convertors. Of course, you'll still need an MP3 player on board. I don't understand what further benefit the Extigy, Audigy 2 NX, or Xitel Pro hi-fi would provide for you, nor do I even know how to connect a soundcard to a laptop. Can that even be done? Are there now sound cards that are external and not PCI-card based? If so then I guess I must live in a cave. LOL9.gif

{EDIT} PS: I began writing this post before Damen Bonner posted his information.

Guest Damen Bonner

The external sound card will plug into a USB port, the the 3 1/8" mini's from the ultra will go the the sound card.