Recommended receiver for music system

BJG718

Hello again and thanks to all who replied to my posts about promedia ultras...however, i changed my mind. i went/am going all out in terms of a system as opposed to computer speakers.

I just bought the SB-2 speakers today and I have decided on a sub, another pair of klipsch speakers, and an Onkyo Cd player (only CD...no DVD). My problem is I do not have a receiver and I cannot seem to understand what I need. I don't completely understand the watts per channel rating. Apparently the higher the wattage per channel doesn't necessarily matter. The bottomline is that I am looking for a very good receiver within $200-$350 and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few. I would be running a 4.1 or a 6.1 system ONLY FOR MUSIC.

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Get a receiver that has Dolby Digital 5.1 as a minimum. That way you can at least use some of the 'surround' modes for your music listening and upgrade to home theatre soon with the addition of (in order of importance) center and rear speakers.

Depending on your room size and listening preferences, your budget will probably allow 50 watts or so per channel. Look for power rated as:

50 watts per channel 20-20,000Hz, .05% THD (distortion) with all channels driven.

Any lesser rating like "at 1 kHz with 1% distortion" means that it's probably about 1/2 to 2/3 the REAL power rating. It's really not critical cause it takes DOUBLE the power to make 3 decibels difference, which is a barely noticable difference.

I'd stick to Sony, Yamaha, Denon, or Pioneer. At that price point you probably WONT get a phono input if that is important to you.

Shop around and give us a buzz with what you've found. We're here to help.

I got a barely Harman Kardon AVR525... I spent a lot more than I meant to (500 including shipping + 4.5 year warranty), but I havent heard anything bad about it and I thought the extra power could benefit me sometime. Any tips for setting it up from anyone that already owns it? Or any tips in general about receivers? Thanks for all the replies!

-Brendan