Recommended receiver for music system

BJG718

Hello again and thanks to all who replied to my posts about promedia ultras...however, i changed my mind. i went/am going all out in terms of a system as opposed to computer speakers.

I just bought the SB-2 speakers today and I have decided on a sub, another pair of klipsch speakers, and an Onkyo Cd player (only CD...no DVD). My problem is I do not have a receiver and I cannot seem to understand what I need. I don't completely understand the watts per channel rating. Apparently the higher the wattage per channel doesn't necessarily matter. The bottomline is that I am looking for a very good receiver within $200-$350 and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few. I would be running a 4.1 or a 6.1 system ONLY FOR MUSIC.

thanks in advance!

I guess you're talking about routing a stereo signal into 4-6 speakers, rather than running multi-channel audio, yes? You'll need a receiver that does "5/6 channel stereo, " I believe, for that. I know that Denon does, but not sure of other brands. The challenge is going to be finding a "very good" receiver in that price range. Unless you buy used, I think you'll find just average (or possibly less than average) units for that price.

How about a Harman Kardon 325 or 330...I have been looking and cannot seem to find whether or not they are 4/5/6.1 channel stereo? I have heard this is a great receiver and I might be able to fit it into my budget. Would it be a solid candidate for 99% music listening not in surround?

Denon is absolutely the best when it comes to power for your money, but like said earlier on the forum, unless you buy used stuff, you are not getting anything too 'valuable' in terms of power.

But, since you are going to be listening probably only to music, since you mentioned no DVD player, and only an Onkyo CD player:

I have experience with an older amp, the Yamaha 3090, which is a great beast for emanating the true quality for audio CDs. It does not have the 4 or five channel stereo option as most Denons or newer Yamaha's will have, but for pure two channel stereo, this is it!

One more option you could look at is getting a pre/power amp combo from any of the good companies out there. I have tried out a low budget amp like the Yamaha 430 with an Adcom power amp, and the sound used to blow my curtains off..literally!

Hmm, I do believe I would go for the latter idea! Try get a matching pre/power from Adcom, or NAD, or better yet, Carver! Used stuff will certainly do you good in terms of bang for the buck! But get it from someone you can trust!

Panasonics in that price range are highly rated by CR, for whatever that's worth.2.gif

From what you said about wanting to listen to 2-channel music in surround, I think it's very important you make it a top priority to get a receiver that has a Dolby Pro Logic II/Music mode that is fully adjustable - some aren't. Also, a good 5/7 channel stereo, or "party" mode, plus any other ambience modes that are not over-done, would be good. It would be best to do lots of in-store auditioning to see which receivers have the best sounding surround processing.