Denon DCM380 Early Impressions

hwatkins

For those that answered my first message on searching for a new CD changer I though I would give a first impression of my new Denon DCM 380. It is attached to a Denon 3802 with 5 heresy speakers to use and an SVS 20-39pci. Analog and coax attached.

This is not a SACD or DVD-A unit - it has that thingy called HDCD capability. I listend for about 3 hours last night - none of the discs were labeled HDCD and the Player confirmed by not ligthing up the HDCD indicator. I replaced a HK unit that was going on the fritz (two days ago I dismantled, cleaned and made minor adjustments and darned if I can't get the unit to fail now - It will go to a new porch system I am cooking up).

1. Seems mechanically sound, easy to use and simply intuitive - gosh, it is a fairly simple changer (almost unDenon like).

2. Reasonable remote functions and fairly rapid response from the unit.

3. Noisy changer, but less so than the HK.

4. Auto detect on reciever works in tandem with the connections.

5. Sound - well I was quite surprised. I would have sworn you would not be able to tell a difference, but low and behold there was a distinct change in what I can best describe as clarity and maybe dynamics. I was so taken back that I broght the old (now working) unit back up to do a side by side. The best way I can describe the difference is that the DCM380 seemed to move effortlessly with changes in the sound and the old HK seemed to blunt force itself from sound to sound (no subtlity?).

I am surprised although I have heard similar stories from SACD players and regular CDs, I hadn't heard the same about HDCD players.

Granted - I am sure the old HK will sound very good when not in a side by side. For straight CD play for a very reasonable price I do recommend (based on the short time with the unit) the DCM 380.