ProMedia 4.1 = my humming angel, please help

A good explanation of ground loop from http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.html:

"When two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths, a ground loop occurs. Currents flow through these multiple paths and develop voltages which can cause damage, noise or 50Hz/60Hz hum in audio or video equipment. To prevent ground loops, all signal grounds need to go to one common point and when two grounding points cannot be avoided, one side must isolate the signal and grounds from the other."

In short, do you have multiple audio devices, such as the source and amp, plugged into different outlets?

You say you have gotten a new CP-1 pod and still problems? At first I was going to say it's that darn 8-pin DIN connector that everyone ends up breaking. You also say you've switched your satellite speakers so that the ones you were using for front were wired to the rear and you get noise on the ones wired to the rear inputs. Well, you've got a new preamp, so that's not the problem. Speakers good....preamp good...maybe the problem is within the amplifiers for the rear channels. Here's something to try if you are bored/curious. If you are not not, then my advice is to get a new amp.

If you open the subwoofer enclosure and disconnect the subwoofer wires from the amplifier panel so you can flip it around and look at the board, you will see a motherboard with 5 boards standing up vertically, mounted on a large metal block. Each board corresponds to an amplifier for each of the satellites and one for the sub. By the way, be careful about opening the sub right after powering it down as the power supply capacitors retain a high voltage for several hours (they are at 168V on power down). If you are impatient, you can take a decent sized power resistor (I use a 10 ohm power resistor) and touch the leads to the ends of the larger capacitors on the board.

The plug in boards are kind of smushed together, and on each one you will see several can-shaped eloctrolytic capacitors mounted vertically and bent sideways. For starters you can inspect the capacitors for any kind of stuff oozing on them. You can even try swithicng speaker output connectors between the amps and see if the noise comes out of a different channel. If you're not up for this, like I said before, I suspect it's the amp (given that you have tried everything else...).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

what a pain...

i got my klipsch promedia 4.1 back from Micron (tech support for klipsch in canada)

they said they tested it for several hours yet could not hear the buzzing

then told me to check sourcing

i have even brought my promedia 4.1 to a friend's house yet it still hums the same

humbug...

all they did was to ship me another CP-1 after another email response from them

i already switched 2 CP-1's!

and its not the problem!