a few questions

iXtreme

I'd like to think I know/knew a bit about HT, dolby, thx and other things about surround. I understand how pro logic works and the difference between pro logic, 5.1 and DTS. What I want to know is what is 6.1 in terms of speakers and sound, while I'm at it... what's 7.1? I currently have 5.1 with toslink cables from my dish reciever and DVD player.

With your head start, iXtreme, 6.1 will be a breeze. If you can reach back in your memory banks, there was a time before front center channels when only phantom center channels existed. The best versions made sound appear to come from a given point on the screen by putting, for example, 75% of the sound of an explosion on the left main and 25% on the right main... your ears would tell your brain that the center of the explosion was on your left front. I used this kind of system with a front projection system and an 18' wide screen and it was strikingly effective.

While phantom center channels are still options on most receivers, the overwhelming trend is toward a discrete center channel as a way to improve clarity of dialogue... with the Klipsch "tapered array" on the RC-7 being a leading exponent of that trend. In fact, upwards of 65% of movie sound comes from the center speaker in today's latest flicks... and that is because, like the eye/ear arrangement on any preditor, human beings tend to face the action.

As you know in 5.1, the placement of the back speakers are either on the sides (in opposition to one another) or spread apart on the back wall. In the older surround systems, like Dolby ProLogic, the rear sounds are narrow spectrum "clues" that acutally feed off of full spectrum sounds on the mains... and such systems do better with primarily diffuse speaker systems, with the Klipsch "WDST" being a leading exponent of spreading the sound with horns fore and aft... while keeping one woofer pointed straight ahead to handle discrete rear 5.1 source material. Like the trend in the front progressed from descrete stereo pairs (e.g., left, right) to a descrete array (e.g., main, center, main), IMHO, the trend in the back is progressing from discrete rear stereo pairs (left rear + right rear = 5.1) to a discrete array (left rear side + center rear back + right rear side = 6.1). 7.1 just adds an extra rear center speaker to accomodate wide rooms. A similar effect may be had by using a WDST type speaker in the rear center position on a 6.1 system since little or no 7.1 discretely programmed channels are available.

Which brings up the issue of programmed vs. matrixed rear center channels. The latest upscale receivers tend to have the ability to handle discrete Dolby Digital and/or dts 6.1 programming (e.g., "Gladiator" was available in dts 6.1 or DD 5.1 sound... I much preferred the dts version). So far, 6.1 discrete programming is rare... but, again, upscale receivers automatically "matrix" the rear channels of 5.1 to create a synthesized rear center channel... and, personally (aside from the red & blue bill thing. lol), I MUCH prefer 6.1 with my rear left and right discrete channel speakers in opposition (against the side walls) with a rear channel speaker against the back wall.

IMHO, multiple speakers are an attempt to recreate a 360° sound array (within the acoustic constraints of your listening area) that most closely resembles actually being a witness to the real scene. To some degree, the attempt sythesize the acoustics of actual locations by adding electronic bias is a somewhat less acceptable attempt... as are headphones that try to create the surround effect.

There are some in my old field of psychology who would say that a preditor fixes his auditory "attention" on the front where the prey is... but derives his "comfort" from the auditory information that no other preditor is stalking him from behind. Again, IMHO, a movie in programmed or matrixed 6.1 is a more satisfying experience than 5.1... and, should the programmed version become more prevelant, I think that there will be a significant upgrade in how sound engineers program the rear sounds of future movies... just as there was a great upsurge in discrete programming for center channels in 5.1 when the number of people with center channel speakers became significant enough.

Symphonies, however, still sound wonderful to me on my two-channel stereo rig... because that's how I essentially remember them from real life experiences... without getting into the witch-hunt of feigned concert hall acoustics. But, for a "better than the theater experience" its 6.1... can anyone be "iXtreme" without it? cwm27.gif HornEd

PS: To the critical listener, it is amazing how greatly the quality of 5.1 can differ... particularly on remakes of older films. "Ben Hur" is an example of a GREAT 5.1 re-release that even comes more alive as matrixed 6.1 on my rig. And, of course, I prefer the extra dimension and depth I get from embellishing the front sound stage with strategically placed and tuned matrixed front effects speakers. Am I extreme??? Ask my favorite ex-wife.cwm34.gif

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Oiled Walnut Cornwall Music Room Under Construction