Klf-20's tweeter crackling???

OU Sig

Hey all...new to the forum, I have just started to notice that on certain mid-lower bass notes, there is a crackling noise that comes from the tweeter on my speakers. It only does it on one of them, and the tweeter still plays fine. It sounds like if you held a piece of paper by the port when the speakers were playing loud - that crackling/fart noise (sorry for the basic explination).

Dont know if I need a new tweeter, or something may be vibrating back there. Like I said, it still plays fine.

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I'll run down some of my typical troubleshooting suggestions.

1) I don't think it is a wire problem. None the less, check the external wiring to make sure things are clean and snug. It only makes sense for general maintenance. This goes for any troubleshooting. Do this thing before driving yourself crazy on a witch hunt elsewhere.

2) Switch the wiring connection between the left and right speakers. You can move the left speaker to the right side and vica versa (heavy lifting); or just exchange the wiring at the back of the amp (no heavy lifting).

This is just to make sure the problem is with the speaker and not the amp. Any problem with one channel has to be first diagnosed as a speaker problem or a wire / amp problem. I trust you see how this works. The problem follows the speaker, or not.

3) If it is the speaker, you have to determine where the noise is coming from. A piece of hose or even the cardboard core from paper towel can be used as an improvised stethoscope. You'll have to check the tweeter, mid, two bass drivers, and the ports.

4) Don't be too sure that treble-like noises are coming from the mid horn or tweeter. A bass driver bottoming (over driven) out can make a crackling, tapping or clanking, noise.

5) It is interesting that you're associating bass with crackling. That makes me think that 4) is involved. I have one Telarc disk with infrasound. The Tyranasaurus (sp) Lunch cut. I think my amp doesn't like it, but it may be the speaker. There is crackling caused by the infrasonics.

6) Does the problem only occur with one / some recordings? Could be that the woofers are overdriven. Take off the grill and watch the diaphragm.

7) Does the problem only occur at high drive levels. Is it caused by bass.

7) It could be something loose in the unit. You will have to find out how to get inside. Probably you have to remove a woofer.

8) I sort of doubt it is a tweeter issue. The tweeter comes on at about 6 kHz. To high to be crackling. But that involves some subjective judging. Maybe the mid horn, but again, I tend to think not.

So let us all know what you find. Everyone here is more than happy to help.

Best,

Gil

Also, I see that some people have had problems with the port tube becoming loose. Check that.

One reason I think it is not a wire problem is that a loose wire typically causes a drop out situation. There is no signal at low levels. Then at high levels, it pops in. A loose wire can't cause additional signal.

Gil

Well that noise happens only on certain songs...and they are when I play through my computer. So it could be just mp3 quality or my wire that connects my computer to my reciever may be bad. Cause sound is perfect when I play through the DVD player with the optical wire...so I think my speakers are just fine!

but thank you for the help