Nice story about amplifiers.

JJkizak

First please delete the first two posts which posted by hitting the carriage return key.

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-983 7.1 receiver to upgrade my K-horns and Cornwall center speaker to 7.1. My old amp (Denon DRA-365R) was coupled with a Kenwood equalizer (EQ-70) which was in series with a Hughes expander (AK-100) in the tape jacks on the back and the tape switch on the front of the amp was on. With the new amp installed the sound was very "non-low end" and lower total output than the old setup. Talked to Denon and they said the best way was to use the "pre out L & R front" jacks and feed the old amp. So I hooked it up that way with the old amp feeding the K-horns and the new amp feeding the center speaker. (I don't have the surround speakers yet or the woofer).

Everything came alive and I was happy again loosening up the nails in the rafters in the house. Just going by "earball" the low end on the AVR 983 was about 15 db down at max level output compared to the old amp. Don't understand why because the new amp is rated 90 watts continous per channel and the old amp 55 watts per channel continous. I will continue to use the new amp as the surround control unit and fill-in and the supply for the LFE.

The setup for the new amp had the LFE separate and not combined with the front speakers.

James J. Kizak