New CD Player

Lankhoss

Hello,

I have a fairly old Pioneer CD player in my system, currently. I do not have the model number with me, as I am out of town for the next week. I am VERY pleased with the sound that comes out of it. However, I'd like to eventually have a digital connection from my CD player to my receiver. I am wondering if there is a certain type of CD player I should look for. I have heard the Sone ES series have a great DAC in them, but I know very little about Sony products.

It is not really that big of a deal to me, since I'm pleased with what I have. I do not need the super audio CD players or anything.....just a basic CD player with a digital (optical) output. I am not looking to spend much money either, probably $300 at the very very most. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

The Cambridge looks like a nice player but if you want to run a digital signal out to your pre then you would be wasting money on the fancy DAC in it since you would be using the DAC in your pre. I run two Sony CD changers, a CDP-CX355 and a CDP-CX455. The 355 is a 300 CD changer and the 455 is a 400 CD changer. I take an optical digital signal from each of them to the pre. I have not looked at the prices lately but I know I paid less than $300 for the 355. I have been very happy with them.

Happy hunting!

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:32:30 PM Lankhoss wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone!!

And, I'm not using a pre. Just a CD player and receiver.

Thanks again.
:)

----------------

My comments remain the same whether you are going into a separate preamp or a receiver. (A receiver is just a tuner, preamp and power amp all in one box.) If you are going to take the digital signal out of the CD player then the only part of the player you are using is the laser reader. Any money spent on the digital to analog portion of the player is wasted since you will not be using it.