All SET owners...

steamer

Hi, Up till yesterday I had a pair of SE84b wired in series for Monoblock. Used them with my Cornwalls, Had a wonderful mid and high range, not to bright. Bass was tight and responsive. I would love to have kept them but the Ex-wife screwed me out of a couple car and house payments 15.gif7.gif8.gif

----------------

On 7/27/2004 8:35:49 AM steamer wrote:

I am interested in bi-amping my LaScala's with a good SET on the mids and highs and a Bryston 3B on the woofer.

----------------

A low-watt SET amp should be able to handle mids and highs well, powerwise.

I've owned Decware amps for six years now. First was the 27th amp that was sold, even before the first of three major revisions of the basic amplifier, now called the SE84C I believe. Then rather than buy the three revisions the builder talked me into ordering his "Select" version. After living a few years with that amp, I bought the first speakers he developed, "the Radial RL-1" and had those modified to the "Radial RL-2" when those were available. I fell in love with the speakers and eventually ordered the EL34 Monoblock amplifiers that are among the newest of Decware's amps.

These are AMAZING amps, all three that I have had, in a bang for the buck way. There is a clarity to the sound that I haven't heard in any other amplifier I've lived with. They have the single-ended technology very well implemented, and yet they don't sound like the single-ended 300B and 845 amps I have heard. They sound more modern, they are very fast and responsive, they give detail and have an amazing ability to image.

I have never had one lick of problems with any of the amps. They are very well built and dependable. In fact they have a lifetime warranty to the original owner!

I can seriously recommend these amps. They will power your mid and high frequencies very well. You may even find they will be sufficient for the low frequencies as well; very much depends on the speaker and the size of the room and the type of music listened to. I have not needed to use another amp and really I have no desire to because I really feel it would be a detriment for my room, speakers and material!

If you would like there is a very nice forum for these amps and products full of helpful folk, accessible here:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

I have always thought the Decware stuff was really neat. I still would like to get the original utility-gray-painted version of the amp. It's still available as a kit, and I think it would be great with K-horns. As Lon said, there is lots of information and eager, positive help at the Decware site. My wife has spoken with Steve D. before and said he is a very nice guy.

Erik

Thankyou all for your input,

I have made the descision to try the Decware SV83s monos on the mids and highs.What I like about Decware is thier philosiphy of simple and balanced.The only con I have read in reviews is the power output but the speakers in the reviews had sensetivitys of 90 to 94 db.Reviews with speakers of higher sens don't have that complaint.But every review gave a + for bass thru the high freq.I am new to tubes and like my Shanling SP-80 PP with the level 1 mods by parts connection.They make the LaScala's sound better than I have ever heard.I will have to sell the Shanling's to finance this move as I am doing other mods to the LaScala's.The plan is to make them 2way using 511B horns with 902 drivers.The network will be Al K.'s ES600 extreme slope.In addition this will be a bi-amp setup with a Bryston 3B w/input level control on the woofer.I have been in communication with Sfogg who also runs his LAS 2way.He says good things about the sound.Well this post is getting away from me,once again thankyou for the input.

Greg