Weird popping sound

schwock5

I just moved into a new place, and got my new Klipsch speakers (35 series all around). I hear a strange popping noise every so often from the back of the room. I'm not sure if it's from the speakers, or if it's a regular apartment creaking noise. I hear it when nothing is coming out of the speakers too, and when my receiver is off, so i'm not sure what the source is. I'll try unhooking the speakers all together and listening for the noise, but it's making me quite nervous.

Anyone have this problem?

I'd say that if the power to the amp is off, then it can't be the speakers.

There is a bit of contradiction in your post in that the subject is popping noise, and then you write about normal apartment creaking. Do you have creaking? Could be a foundation problem.

I've heard creaking in some high rise office buildings here in Chicago during high winds. A bit like a ship at sea. It is some adjustment by the facade against the steel structural members. I don't worry about the building falling down.

On the other hand, my recent residence, as of a year ago, is a 30 storey building made of reinforced concrete with very large windows. In the early morning I hear some odd pops. I think it is the effect of warming by the sun on either the concrete or the window frames.

I wouldn't worry about the speakers. You should talk to your neighboors. Do they hear the same?

Gil

that's what so strange, it definately is a popping noise, but part of me thinks it could be the apartment. The reciever is off (standby) so there is still some power going to it. Like i said, tomorrow if i get the chance i'll see if i hear it when everything is completely disconnected

It is tough to tell how much of the amp is "on" when it is in standby. It would seem odd if the final power amps are on in that they consume the most power. But maybe so.

People do report noise getting into systems. Sometimes it's a furnace, hot water heater, or refrigerator turning on.

It will be interesting to hear about what you find.

Gil

I un hooked the cables to my rear speakers, and still heard the popping noise, so i guess it's the apartment, thank god. On another note, i was watching soccer in DOlby Digital on INHD, and there was no crowd noises, which i assumed comes from the surround speakers, so i thought they were broken, but when i put it on 5 channel stereo, it seemed fine. Guess it was a bad soundtrack, it was the Czech vs Germany Euro Cup game, anyone else notice that?