Satellite Audio Broadcasts

Hi everyone,

I'm looking go with Dish Network for satellite service. I noticed that you can buy channels where they broadcast "digital music." It's a whole lot of commerical free music channels, something for all tastes.

My question: What is the quality like? Is it worth an extra $10/month?

While I'm on this, will the satellite guy know how to hook up the system so that the audio goes through my receiver and to my speakers? I'm new to all this...

Thanks for the advice,

Kurt

Billiard DUDE!

Don't let those cable/satellite butchers near your system. In fact, don't even let them near your house unless your'e standing right there. I've seen installations where wire was stapled to roof shingles, vinyl siding, and drywall. These idiots get paid by the installation and have NO IDEA about how to properly and unobstructively run CATV wire through walls, in attics, etc.

Get a REAL ELECTRICIAN to run all connecting cables for you from the outside junction box the satellite guy provides.

It is a simple matter to go from the scrambler box through your Home Theatre once you get all the cable wiring in. From what I've seen, the 'radio' stations are just additional stations you pay for and are accessed just like any tv signals.

For $10 a month though, you can get one of those new Cirris or XM svices that have a modular receiver you can put in your car or plug into a base station attached to your stereo. Don't know what the reciever costs, but they are becoming widely available.

Hope this helps

Michael

With DirecTV you get 40+ music channels included in the package for FREE! There is an option to add more music channels for about $5 I think, which I went ahead and got because it adds greater selection.

Ditto on not letting those install people near your receiver! All you need to do is run the optical/coaxial cable, audio RCA's jacks, and either component or S-VHS video leads to your receiver which already should have dedicated inputs for a Sat Dish Rcvr.

The sound quality is usually touted as be "CD quality" but I think that is a major stretch. But it is enjoyable, especially as background music or just passive listening. To my ears, it does not really sound like FM, either. It is usually better than the commercial FM we get around here, which is always compressed to death. But I think a good, strong, uncompressed FM signal (think Public Radio) actually sounds better.

BTW, my experience has been with DirecTV, and now with Charter Cable. The sound of the two is more similar than different, though, so I am ASSUMING Dish Network, Sirius and XM radio would all be comparable. After all, they're all compressed digital.

Guest Anonymous

I have sirius satlite radio and that is what dish network offers and I can tell you that it is worth its weight in gold and I love it. I use it every single day in the car and at my house. Like someone else said pay to have the system installed because those guys are just absolute animals and shouldn't even be allowed to touch a tool or a house for that matter. they do horrible and shotty work. That goes for comcast, dish network, and direct tv, they are all horrible. I knew a guy that had direct tv come into his house and rather than going through the siding they ran the cable around the back door. They actually ran it through the door way, this guy couldn't close his door nothing. but the actual quality of the music depends on a lot of things, it depends on where you are in relation to towers and what not because the quality of the music can be as good as a cd if you have a really high band withbut if you are in the middle of no where the quality isn't as good because the bandwith of the signal is much lower.

Well the good news is that my townhome already has cable installed, so hopefully Dish Network can just set up the dish and use the cables that are already routed throughout my house (4 rooms). What's already done looks very professional. I don't want to go with the cable service because Comcast cost a lot more than satellite and gives you less.

Sound quality is a big issue. I don't claim to be an audiophile, but there's a big difference between FM and CD quality in terms of clarity. When you're listening to good stuff, you can "see" the instruments based upon the sound. I can't see much when I'm listening to FM. It feels like there's some insolation between me and music.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are awesome!

Potentially bad news, the satellite systems use a different type of coaxial cable (larger) than standard cable and using the pre-existing run cable may not work correctly or will result in less than stellar picture quality because of it. In addition, you are going to need sat dish receivers in every room and a dish that has 4 LNB units on it and I don't think they make one. I have seen the triple ones but no quadruple ones. Good luck with your quest!

I'm only going to hook up satellite to my living room. I have only 1 TV, and I don't see that changing, so I'll only need 1 receiver.

I guess I'll have to talk to the satellite company about the cable. If they'll have to install new stuff, maybe it's not worth it. I don't want them butchering my new home, and I'm not paying out $$$ for professional installation either.