RCR-5 in-ceiling speakers

TonyM

I was thinking of going with RF-7 fronts, rsw-15 sub, rc-7 center, rcr-5 in-ceiling surronds and rear center - a 6.1 setup. The room is 18 x 23 with a catherdral ceiling. With the room layout, the only good option is using in-ceiling speakers. How will the rcr-5 surrounds sound with this setup???

Thanks

Totally depends on your ceiling, dude.

Klipsch architectural speakers are the same as most other brands - it's Klipsch engineering, strapped to a frame with no back. Your ceiling is the enclosure. Don't think ill of Klipsch if it doesn't sound good to you, because Klipsch did the best they could, only to have your enclosure mess up the sound.

This, friends, is why I keep talking about (and installing) Triad products for in-wall/in-ceiling applications. The raw specs may be inferior, but I know exactly what I'm going to get when i mount Triads in a customer's wall/ceiling. Real enclosures = consistent sound quality. Anything else is a crapshoot.

Hi,

I have approximately the same room and speaker setup, I have 2 Rf-7s,Rc-7, 2 Rs-7s, 2 RCR-5s, 2RSW-15 and 1 SVS PB2-plus. I use the RCR-5 for my back surrounds (6th and 7th channel) and its sounds good but not great. If I listen to a 7-channel stereo music, the RCR-5 sound seemed to be overwhelmed by the R-7s, although I have it properly calibrated.

BryanK

I thought about using triad's or another enclosure system for the surrounds, but I was worried about timbre matching the speakers. I really want to go with Klipsch for the fronts/center/sub. It's probably too late for a enclosure installation...I think that the sheetrock will be up today. Oh, well...I guess that I will have to live with 2 RF-7s, RC-7, 3 RCR-5s, RSW-15. Now, reciever decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

I had several pair of ceiling speakers in my old gallery and set up my brother's house with several pair, so I've tried a few things.

With ANY brand, just pay attention to simple construction rules. STUFF VIBRATES. You want the vibrations to be the air on the way to yer ears, right. So the game is stop the other vibrations. If it's in existing construction, cut the hole, run wires, then run a bead of PL200 construction adhesive or glue or caulk, anything you can get into the opening along the seam of drywall and ceiling joist. If it's new construction and you know where speakers will be, definitely glue the drywall in the general vicinity (4x4' should be enough) prior to attaching drywall. Then use screws instead of nails as they won't loosen. On either side of the ceiling or wall cavity where speaker will be installed, roll up a loose batt of fibreglass insulation and stuff into cavity. This will keep sound from echoing down the joist space and give the speaker an 'enclosure' of types.

Also I like the Elan speakers with rotatable tweeters so I can aim toward center of room and away from corners. You might also play with placement by constructing a fake temp speaker box and checking out various placements, ie' distance from room boundaries. You probably would want to avoid having speaker close to ceiling/wall/wall boundary or equidastant from ceiling/wall and other ceiling/wall. but experiment if you can before you start cutting holes.

Hope this helps

Michael