mounting speakers upsidedown

bugman

I was thinking of buying some ceiling mounts insteasd of wall mounts for the 5.1 system. Is there a disadvatage and loss in sound quality if have to put the speakers upside down? I wouldnt think there would be any, but just want to make sure.

Also, can i flip the speaker cover thingie around so that the Klipsch logo is rightside up, even though the speaker is upside down? Will it still attach to the speaker that way?

------------------

Sex is like pizza, when it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Excellent question. I don't think we can answer this until someone tries it. I was thinking the same thing because it would help me to take advantage of limited space in my dorm room. I want to ask though, could you let me know where you are buying the mounts and which brand and model they are?

Bobby

Thats a great idea Bugman, no, you wont loose any sound quality by having the speakers upside down. And the speakers cover, be adventurous and try it yourself and they fit fine as you got me curious with your question and tried it on mine. I am now thinking on designing my own ceiling mounts, if you are handy with tools you shouldnt have any problenms with it, anyways... great Idea!! Good luck.

I'm interested in this because i'm moving into a dorm room this fall also. And the limmited space availble on the walls will not provide a way for me to get a balanced sound. So if i use the ceiling, i have almost unlimited space and can mount speakers any where i want. Any way i was looking at the Omni Mounts found here:

http://www.omnimount.com/omnimount2/umk3.tpl?area=con

Particularly the RST model.

------------------

Sex is like pizza, when it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

also, Dan. About how heavy will each of the satalite speaker will be? Maybe i can buy the mini speaker mounting kits

------------------

Some folks have drilled a hole in the stand, and anchored the sats directly to the ceiling. As long as the sats are securely reattached to the stand, this would work okay.

I've not tried the Omni units in particular, but they would likely give you more adjustability for the angle, which is a definite plus.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by bugman:

also, Dan. About how heavy will each of the satalite speaker will be? Maybe i can buy the mini speaker mounting kits

I think the mini size will be fine for these.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

The only disadvantage I could think of is having the speakers give a lower-quality sound is not being able to angle them properly.

The omnimount would probably fix that though Smile.gif

------------------

"Dude, if you have good speakers, why don't you listen to GOOD music?" - Bah

But someone has done it already...me. Granted I only have the 2.1s, and I didn't suspend them from the ceiling (but rather a very high shelf), maybe you can get some ideas from this.

See this thread for the outcome w/pictures:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000165.html

& see this thread for the initial reason for doing this

and a bit of how it was done:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000147.html

ps - oh yeah, yes the grills flip just fine, so you can't tell they're upside-down unless you remove the grill. (at least on the 2.1s & 4.1s, see the pics.)

This message has been edited by OuTpaTienT on 07-26-2001 at 04:12 AM