Klipsch Forte 2 woofer replacement.

bcorley

I have a pair of forte 2's. One has ,what I assume a bad woofer. Upon taking it out of the cabinet it moves up and down with smoothness with my hand. But it seems to make a popping sound with the higher bass frequencies ( maybe 80-200hz )When played somewhat loud. I can't figure it out. Anyway, I know you can buy replacement woofers ( not the k-25-k) from Klipsch for I think $100 each. I was wondering if anyone has replaced these with non-Klipsch woofers with the close to the same specs with any success. Or if anyone has bought the newer rep[lacement woofers and how the compare to the originals? Thanks

Send your woofers to the Topdog....at woofer.com. He's rebuilt several K33 woofers for me. Quality work, at around $70.00 per woofer/ shipping included, he completely rebuilds them. Topdog was recommended to me by one of the engineers at klipsch. The only problem is the wait, yes, he's that much in demand.

I recommend sending the same woofers from both speakers to be rebuild at the same time, that way they'll be electronically identical.

What GIlbert said. It is possible to recone your woofers more economicaly than a total replacement with factory units. Uses the same basket and magnet structure, replaces working parts with OEM cone and voice coil. This is a much better option than attempting to locate a non-mfg woofer with similar specs. You will never locate a woofer with exactly the same specs and the woofer/cabinet/port size equation is absolutely critical. It doesn't pay to save a few $$ and mess with the sound of your beloved Klipsch speakers.

If you need another recone resource, we've got one in Indy I use, it's Spectrum Sound on west 30th Street.

Good listening!

Michael