Tannoy Sub ?

Ciscokid

I've had experience with other tannoy subs and my impression was that they were very powerful, and maybe a bit bloated sounding. Don't get me wrong, tannoy makes some amazing stuff (I might even say better than klipsch in some regards). Tannoy also has this signiture sound that i've found throughout all the Tannoy gear that I've heard.

As far as specs go, that sub looks very nice. I noticed the peak SPL was measured at 114dB in half space...in 1/8th space (like a room's corner), you'd be up to 120dB. Throw in some EQ (+10db at 20Hz) and then you'll have a sub that's flat down to 20Hz with a max SPL of 110dB. You're not going to need much more volume than that.

One word of caution, this sub is in tannoy's professional line up which means that it's going to be a very non-boomy non-exciting sub (aka, more revealing). Just keep that in mind if you're unable to demo it in your own listening environment.

----------------

On 8/24/2004 7:11:42 PM DrWho wrote:

One word of caution, this sub is in tannoy's professional line up which means that it's going to be a very non-boomy non-exciting sub (aka, more revealing).

----------------

Hi, do you think that this sub would be a good musical sub in a two channel system?

Thanks for responding,

Danny

----------------

On 8/24/2004 7:40:43 PM DrWho wrote:

why not build your own sub? It looks like you enjoy the DIY route...

----------------

Well, The thought crossed my mind. However, have no wood working skills nor the tools. Still may go that route.. Saw some of the Tannoy subs on eBay and was thinking about going that route. I would be using the sub in my two channel system. I currently have a KSW12 sub for my HT.

Regards,

Danny

if you don't want to go a TRUE DIY route, get the titanic mk3 12 or 15" sub kit. it cost 550 or so for the 12 and and 640 or so for the 15". I have the 10" model and it kicks butt for 350. mine won't shake a cement floor but its very good for any other floor. I should say it will shake you on a couch but not the floor. but that 12 or 15" model would for sure shake a basement floor. I think the price to performance retio is very high even though its not a TRUE DIY sub.

the drivers used in them are very nice. huge cast basket, 7 lb mag or so for the 15" model, 2.5" vc, 20mm xmax, vented pole piece and venting under the spider, VERY ridged cone, etc, etc. check it out at partsexpress.com

scp53