settings question

steelie

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a Denon 2802 to send a full range signal to the fronts when in 2-channel listening mode, then switch to the small setting for Dolby Digital/DTS? I've tried setting all speakers to small with an 80 hz crossover, then using the Direct setting instead of Stereo when listening to music. I thought that would do the trick but the sub still turns on automatically, regardless of the setting. (Is the sub doubling up on the low frequencies and does it need to be turned off manually?)

Thanks for the help. I'm waiting a PB2+ that should be getting to the house soon and I've been playing with different settings in the meantime.

I'm not familiar with the 2802, but on the 3803 you can have sub on or off for the different modes. I don't know if it's the same or not but on the 3803 when you are in say direct mode or stereo mode you push ch. select enter button on remote to switch between Lt.fr, Rt.fr. and SW. When it's on SW lower level one step past

-12 and sub will be off.

And congrats on the PB2+ an excellent sub.

Thanks for the tip. Does that mean that I'll be getting a full-range signal to my mains or am I simply turning off the sub and any bass below the crossover? I'm sure I'll hear the difference. Just wondering.

I'm itching for the PB2+. Should be at the house either Monday or Tuesday, I hope. The KSW-12 has served me well for a long time and it's lived through a couple of upgrades. Unfortunately, it can't keep up with the 7s in my large room. Up to now I've always had the mains set to large so I never use it for music but movies are definitely lacking. I guess it will retire soon and eventually I'll use it with secondary bookshelf system in a smaller room.

I always have my RF-7s set to large with sub off while in stereo or direct mode. When I watch a DVD or DD movie on HBO, Showtime or Starz I set RF-7s to small and along with my RC-7, and RF-5s surround and RB5IIs rear surrounds I have crossover set to 60hz and let my PB2+ and PC-Ultra handle the rest.

It only takes a couple seconds to switch from large to small, so no big deal.

I have a couple of nice big amps I use with the 3803 so I get plenty of bass out of the RF-7s in 2-channel.

When you change the settings from large to small do you have to recalibrate the volume levels? That's the only real issue I have with changing back and forth.

Big amps are next on my list but I had to go for the sub first though.(You put your finger on a sore spot)

The 2802 is a holdover from my last system, like the KSW 12 was. It was a tough call on which to upgrade first but I figured the big amps would make me crave a separate processor and then ... well, the sub would have been pushed too far down the line.

For now, I'll enjoy the SVS.

It really never ends.

On my 3802 I set all speaks to large(rf5's).You can set the mains to play main+sub or just full range mains.When the speakers are set to large they get a full range signal,when set to small the sub settings apply and crossover is in effect for mains.Why would you want to cut the lows to the 7's?

I've been experimenting with different settings while I wait for my new sub. I don't want to cut the lows on 7s for music (I don't want the sub to turn on at all during 2-channel playback) but I want the sub to handle all the low frequencies for movies.

You don't have to recalibrate when changing from large to small.

Once you calibrate your master levels will not change unless you change them. When listening in 2 channel just turn volume up or down to suit your taste, it wont effect your main calibration levels.