Rear center questions?

WhalerCane

Okay, I've got the sickness bad. I started out thinking of getting a simple $300 HTS system, and now two months latter, here is what I have gotten.

Front Mains: RP-5's (tower subs)

Center Channel: RC-3

Rear Surrounds: RS-3's (mounted on side walls)

Reciever: Denon 3801

It all now sounds great, but I must admit I'm just starting to learn to drive. With that said, since I've got a 3801, I'm feeling the need for a rear center now or a pair to take advantage of the full 7.1 capability of the reciever (obviously to sick to help myself).

I know that the rear center is just one channel, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of KSB-1's. Does this make sense or should I put down the crack pipe. Any other suggestions for this rear center issue?

Thanks so much for any advice. Of course, it is the fellow addicts on this board that have helped turn me into the klipsch junkie I am today.

cwm44.gif

Fellow junkie WC.What about a pair of those RF-3's.Should be able to get them at a good price.

Question 1 :How does it sound now?

Question 2 :What do you know about running 2 pair of surrounds along with the surround backs?I'm gonna try it but haven't wired the 3801 yet.Still gathering amps,stands,interconnects,and other paraphernalia!

Keith

It sounds good now, but I haven't mounted the rears yet because i am wrestling with this question as to their placement. Nor have I gotten Radio shack db meter and dialed it in.

So that being said, it sounds great, but i have not attained a seemless sound as of yet. I am also still leaning which 3801 settings are appropriate when.

RF-3's would be great main surrounds, but probably a bit much for 6&7 channel I'm guessing. Plus, once again I would be going over budget.

That's why i was thinking the rsb-1's together might get that job done. The fit in the budget, plus they would fit well as far as mounting goes. (RC-3 would be a little ackward in fit). Since 6/7 is a mono channel, I guessing it doesn't have to be that much. My main concern is they would just be overwhealmed by the rest of the system, and not really add to that seemless sound.

Honestly though, I'm pretty much without a clue. That's why I'm asking my fellow klipschoholics.

hey guys, don't u need a seperate power amp to run the rear effects with a 3801? if that's the case whaler u may as well get that pair of rf-3. that should be a great sound.

& then u could get another pair of rp-5 or rf-3 for the B surrounds & run those only on the 5-channel stereo mode for that recording studio effect on music.

maybe surrounds a+b on the movie mode(s).

at the very least i'd get that rc-3 or maybe u could find a single rf-3 for around $300. keep that timbre matching going.

thanks for the vicarious 3801 experience cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-26-2001 at 05:31 PM

WhalerCane, you nailed it when you hinted that this hobby is an opportunity for rapid and radical transitions... (i.e., your migration from a $300 toe-in-the-water rig three months ago). IMHO, the closer you get to six speakers alike with a great sub for HT the better you audio life will be.

Unless you have a huge area to fill, running a 6.1 config. makes a lot of sense... at least it does for me. The surround sound speakers are great for listening to old technology program material... but I much prefer full range speakers for 5.1 (and up) program sources. As I understand it, the audio engineers (of which my ex-brother-in-law is one in Hollywood) approach mixing from a five full-range speakers and a subwoofer... with a sixth full-range added for 6.1 like Gladiator in dts.

Welcome to the fray... you have found a great place to play. cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

The KSB 1.1's would work,but RS-3's would be better.I had IW-150's for rear centers till I found another set of KSP-S6's.

To be honest,I might have been happier with direct radiating speakers such as the in walls.They gave me a better impression of realism.Try the 1.1's if you have them,if you don't,they don't cost much now.

I'd love to try 4 full range speakers in the back half,but room and pocket book say no.4 Heresy's would do me.

As you did,start small and work up.Get the rat shack meter,it's a most.

The Haunting in DTS 6.1 is great as is Gladiator.

By the way,when you do get the rears,set the"DTS-ES/6.1 SOURCE AUTO"to off.Trust me it will auto detect any 6.1 "Discret"source.

I never watch any dvd with the rears off.Always on 6.1 and regular pro logic material is in DTS NEO:6 C,try music in NEO:6 M.

Read pages 62 through 65 and page 68 explains the DTS stuff,if you haven't.

The 3801 is a very nice piece,I'm very happy with mine and have installed 3 others for people.

The manual isn't as bad as it looks once you mess with the unit some and get used to it.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

Boa,from Sound & Vision: "In fact, this receiver lets you have as many as nine (!) speakers hooked up and running simultaneously."

Read this: http://soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/Article01/TestReports/Denon0501/Denon0501p01.html

Steve,what do you think of the above?Are the A & B surrounds driven by the same amps,maybe?See pages 17-20 of manual.I have positioned myself to do just that, running the KSP300's and two pair of S-6's in the rear.

Whaddya think?

By the way boa,opened the new Acurus 125X5 amp this morning and boy,is it a beauty.Well worth the $679 to me.Gonna use it with the Acurus 100X3 and possibly one or two of the 3801 amps.

Hey Steve,how about dropping by the house this weekend and I'll hold the flashlight while you hook up this outfit? Go to Atlanta and turn right! Tipsy.gif

Keith

• 1 month later...

steve & keith, couldn't u run a denon's surround L & R preouts to the power amp & power amp to a remote controlled speaker switch then on to 2 sets of speaks -

surround A & surround B. that way u could use the power amp for either set though couldn't do surround A+B. i'm a long way from that but maybe for u guys Biggrin.gif

keith, yea that'll do it. sorry i kinda went off on a tangent there. cwm35.gif

maybe this would be a good place to ask if it's ok to plug those power amps into the switched a/c outlet on the back of a receiver. like say a new denon?

steve, doug, keith, etc. thanks.

Not sure which amp we're talking about here (too lazy to go back through the thread) but my Denon 3300 receiver switched outlet has a pretty low amperage rating on it -- something like 3amps. Not sure if that would be enough to drive a robust amplifier. In fact, I'll need to go back through my archives to find an inexpensive DIY relay-switch to use to power on my new Acurus when there is current in the Denon's switched outlet...

DD2

Well, since we don't have any young kids at home to serve as remote controls, I'm big on these kinds of things. I think you can build it for less than $15, and doesn't take much skill (good for me).

Haven't received the amp yet -- a slight delay in order processing. I thought about the 200x5 as well, but just decided I'd invest the extra expense somewhere else. From what I hear, the Acurus will sound great with Klipsch - even taming that ever-so-slight-we-hardly-notice-it-much-less-admit-it harshness in the highs that sometimes creeps in.

DD

OH NO! Hope I don't get that foot-in-mouth disease.The Acurus amps are not a cure all,but should deliver improved sound over,I would imagine,any AVR.I know when

I bought my 100X3 years ago to power the KG5.5's there was not a big boost in let's say volume,but the sound was more detailed/refined.I'm sold on Acurus amps.They seem to fit the same niche that Klipsch does in the speaker market.Good value/sound/price.Whereas I noticed

the 100X3 sound would start to "harden" at really loud volumes(gotta test 'em)the 125X5 doesn't skip a beat.If I turn it up to what must be well over 100db the sound is still pleasing and there is no harshness whatsoever.I opened the front door the other day and walked out to the street and the Eagles HFO still sounded loud and clear out there.Sound really carries, ya know!The amps are simply another piece of equipment that I am extremely happy with.If anyone does not like their's I will offer a really low price for it,assuming that it is in excellant condition. Smile.gif

Keith