Which sub will replace the grunt of my Altec model 19's

gement81

I have a pair of SB-2's, a CF-3 center, and Altec Lansing Model 19's for my fronts. I have a small house and would like to trade in my altecs for a good sub. I have a pair of CF-1s that I picked up for $200 and I am hoping that I can get a tighter bass response with the combination of the CF-1's and a good sub, I just dont know which one to buy. I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to match the low end rumble of 2 15" altec woofers? I'm driving it all with a Yamaha 120 watt surround sound receiver which I like very much.

Any system comments od recommendations on a sub? Anyone interested in purchasing my Altec model 19's or perhaps trading for a good sub. I listened to the KSW stuff and I think they sound like crap. They are really muddy.

I live in the milwaukee, WI area if anyone is interested in the Altecs.

KSW subwoofers are not what I would call greatness in the sub bass world.

You are looking for real quality sub bass with definition and serious output? Klipsch RSW lineup sends the KSW line to the dumpster in a hurry.

take the RSW12,it goes quite deep thank you and has real output the KSW can only hope to match.Plus the RSW subs trade the port for a PR,no more port noise.Even flared ports are plagued by port noise when the subs are driven hard with deep bass around 20Hz.

Another choice would be the HSU VTF3 second revision,this unit uses a long throw 12" capable of some serious output down low.Its another very potent sub with headroom to spare.

From SVS any unit using a dB12 woofer mated to their plate amps will do quite well,you have a choice of tube or box subs and many finished from cheapo(err GORGEOUS cloth covered...)to real good looking wood finishes.

What else...the classic performer in its third revision the Paradigm PW2200 ,with the new more potent amp and revised 12" woofer it a worthy competitor and for all Canadians a giant vlaue.Again as with SVS and HSU this one goes very deep and can belt out serious SPL.

All these subwoofers are very capable to 25Hz,the RSW12 leaves first as below 25Hz it disapears.The Paradigm and HSU are almost neck and neck solid down to around 20Hz(or a shade below) and the SVS(when tuned lowest) is most potent of the bunch and can impress pipe organ fanatics with solid 16Hz output( IMHO too reduced to reproduce the full might of even smaller pipe organs mind you).

TheEAR out

For music, which sub would work best with my klipsch CF-1 fronts considering that they only have 6.5" woofers. I have not hooked them up yet since I want to begin using them with a sub when I get rid of my Altec Lansing Model 19's.

I was thinking that a 10 or 12" would work best seeing I might have a sound hole between the performance of the CF-1's with the 6.5" and the sub.