I heard my first Bose system

white_shadow

Well its not a complete speaker package but the floorstanding 701's.

My friend had a new roomate move in with a Pioneer A/V and a pair of Bose 701's. He went to an interniship for the summer and left his gear behind. We've been wanting to hear them all summer, and he just got back this week.

In the meantime my friend built two passive subs with 12" Adire or something woofers. The 701's are powered by the front channels and the rears power the subs. We hooked up everything and listened to an IASCA test CD. It sounded good until we turned off the subs (rears). It wasn't too bad. The response was fairly flat, imaging was good, voices and instruments were somewhat clear. But for $1000 it should be better.

The bass response was bad. There is a track with a tuba or something and the Bose made it sound so bad. This is a powered tower, 2 6" mids (one firing back) and a built in 8" powered sub. My RB5's put out a comparable amount of bass, but tighter and more controlled. I wanted to do an A/B comparison and bring my gear over (I live 100 yards away) but he refused. He said the wiring configuration was too complicated to do again. I told him positive to positive, negative to negative, and so on but he looked confused so I gave up.

The 701's sound good, but for that price they should sound great. Its no wonder Bose discontinued the 701 (the one with the angled tweeter). It was in production for I think less than a year because it had major flaws. Bose won't even mention the 701's, no tech sheets or any other info on their website. Deny, Deny, Deny. What 701.

Well I think you kind of nailed it with the review. The credo around here is, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose" ...

I've owned numerous Bose products before I became enlightened by Klipsch. Ironically, I heard my first Klipsch products in Denver (Listen Up) with the Heresy and Klipschorn. I was blown away, but I just couldn't afford it. I remembered the salesman's admiration of Paul Klipsch, whom he spoke of with hero-status.

Over time, I had a little more money, but still not much, and Bose hit the price point in the market. It was marginal product, marginal value. When I inherited my grandfathers McIntosh MC2105 in 2000, I couldn't bear the Bose product anymore and scored a pair of Cornwalls.

It's been great ever since. Cornwalls, Klipschorns, Heresy's ... Nothing at all like Heritage speakers.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

The subs are DIY, my friend designs car audio sub enclosures. So they are passive enclosures. They are actually amplified by the rear channels, with no filtering. I'm not sure if the receiver was in all stereo mode with some form of filtering. I need to get a digital camera.

The bass is good.

So you lika the bass.

My father in-law has a newer BOSE system and yes it sucks. I remember hearing the older 901's with a Scott tube amp and thinking they sounded awesome. Maybe I was just young. It was many, many years ago. But they were my first taste of what could be.....Jump years ahead and my setup inludes, Cornwalls, Klipschorns, Forte's, and Heresy's. I've listened to many different sepakers and the only speakers that I thought sounded good were magneplans and the top of the line B&W speakers. I'm sure there are many other but I obviously love my Klipsch speakers.