Recommendations for 10wpc amp

scotbuck

Greetings,

I listen to everything from rock to blues to classical to jazz, and am hoping to find a speaker system that can reproduce it all. I found that my Lowther system was great with small, intimate acoustic music. And instruments without a strong upper midrange timbre (such as piano) or the human voice (such as the smoky voice of June Christy) were reproduced with *jaw-dropping* accuracy. However, more "nasal" sounding instruments, such as the upper register of a tenor sax, could be somewhat harsh. And the lack of bass response made rock a little difficult. (I also suspect that this tonal imbalance contributed to the so-called "shout" effect - an aggressive midrange without the balance of an aggressive bass.)

My living room measures roughly 15 feet deep by 14 feet wide (and extends about 8 feet more to a Pullman-style mini kitchen). The rear wall has one corner (mostly window); the other "corner" is actually a hallway leading to my front door.

Thanks for your input!

Take care,

Scott

I have only watched debate here on which cornwalls rule the roost but the earlier version (non "II") seems to be the prefered model. older, alnico, vertical horn models seem to top the list...within your budget you should be able to find a fabulous pair...I personally love the sound of cornwalls and if I ever have the room for a second system I will probably buy a pair. regards, tony

btw my 13watt amp (downwind maybe) absolutely rocks the house via my klipschorns fwiw

Greetings,

I was given the kind opportunity to check out some Cornwalls here in the Chicago area; this'll give me a better first-hand impression of how these speakers behave with my amp.

After that, I should be able to determine whether the Cornwall, with it's larger footprint and extended bass is preferred or whether I'd be better off with the smaller footprint and higher sensitivity of a Chorus/Chorus-II.

Thanks again!

Take care,

Scott