A little Advice please

Spanky

Hello all, I'm new to this Forum so forgive me if I make a few mistakes, Still learning.

I have a few questions if I may,

1. I am considering a system comprised RB-25 for front and rear speakers or I was looking at the RS-25 for surround dutys, Your thoughts? I am not a big fan of floor standing speakers and want to get good performance while only having a small amount of space taken up by speakers

2. Now for centre channel duties I was considering using another set of RB-25 (Front and rear for 6.1), Or is it smarter to just use a dedicated centre channel?

I have often wondered why not use the same speakers that are used for mains could not beused as front and rear centre channels, Surely the timbre and tonal qualitys will match better for a better sound stage as voice or sounds move around the room? Or would the dedicated centre channel give you a wider dispersion of sound?

3. Subwoofer duties - I was looking at the RW-12 as a good match, Your thoughts?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer, unfortunatley there is no dealer in my city that deals with Klipsch, So I have to do this all from memory, I heard a set at a dealer about 400kms away from me and I was very impressed, Seems in this town every one only wants to sell Denon/Bose or Yamaha.

Don't get down cause no one answered, hell, no one answered my last post either6.gif . I'm trying to sell KLF-20's and a KLF-C7 and no one is interested.

Anyway, keep the front three timber matched, the surrounds are up for grabs, obviously watch out for how they are ported when you mount/stand them.

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the piss poor advice.

Mark

----------------

On 9/11/2004 4:24:12 PM Spanky wrote:

Hello all, I'm new to this Forum so forgive me if I make a few mistakes, Still learning.

I have a few questions if I may,

1. I am considering a system comprised RB-25 for front and rear speakers or I was looking at the RS-25 for surround dutys, Your thoughts? I am not a big fan of floor standing speakers and want to get good performance while only having a small amount of space taken up by speakers

----------------

Nothing wrong with going with the RB-25s if you don't want the larger speakers. Just make sure you pair them up with a decent subwoofer. Still best to go with as large of a speaker you can afford, can fit, or willing to put up with. Although I've never got a good chance to hear them myself, but from what I've read elswhere, those little RB-25's can certainly hold thier own.

----------------

2. Now for centre channel duties I was considering using another set of RB-25 (Front and rear for 6.1), Or is it smarter to just use a dedicated centre channel?

I have often wondered why not use the same speakers that are used for mains could not beused as front and rear centre channels, Surely the timbre and tonal qualitys will match better for a better sound stage as voice or sounds move around the room? Or would the dedicated centre channel give you a wider dispersion of sound?

----------------

Using the exact same speaker across the front will certainly give you the best match. But like you said, having the dedicated center probably does help with a wider dispersion. That should help with "off axis" listening, that is, you are not sitting dead-center, and still be able to hear the dialog without any or very little distortion.

Ideally, the best way to answer this would be to actually listen to the various configurations (RB-25 vs RC-25 in the center) and go with the one you like the best. You mention having to travel 400km to get to the dealer. That is a bit of a hike, though, thus it could make it difficult/impossible to return things to try out.

----------------

3. Subwoofer duties - I was looking at the RW-12 as a good match, Your thoughts?

----------------

I think that will be an excellent choice to go with those RB-25s.

----------------

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer, unfortunatley there is no dealer in my city that deals with Klipsch, So I have to do this all from memory, I heard a set at a dealer about 400kms away from me and I was very impressed, Seems in this town every one only wants to sell Denon/Bose or Yamaha.

----------------

Well, we all had to start somewhere. I certainly had to go through a learning curve myself, not to mention, plenty of equipment returns (thankfully, my dealer was only 2 miles away). But yeah, those RB-25's will easily blow away anything that Bose could ever put out. It sounds to me like you are on the right track, especially if your goal is to create a good system that is easy on space and budget.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on using for reciever?

I can HIGHLY recommend the Rb25s. VERY VERY good for the money. I got mine for $360. cheaper and smaller yet sounds good. clean and clear like you wouldn't beleive. makes my sb3s(synergy bookshelf) sound like crap in terms of cleaness and clearness. for a sub a rw12 will easily keep up with the rb25s. maybe consider a svs or hsu sub if you want more bang for the buck. just a thought. either way (klipsch rw12 sub,a hsu sub, or svs sub) your system is gonna sound great.

scp53

Thanks for the responses, I would love to purchase Floor standers but my budget won't stretch that far, So I'm working on the basis of purchase a good quality set of bookshelf speakers like the RB25's (plus centers x 2 and rear surrounds) rather than purchase an average floor stander set and get average sound quality.

As for the reciever this I have not decided on yet, I have a number of options but if you have any options or suggestions please advise, remembering I'm on a budget, I'm wanting to set my system up for 6.1 Dolby and DTS.

I was looking at a Pioneer Amp that caught my eye, Seemed to be good bang for the bucks and had recieved some good reviews the VSXD814 for RRP of $899 Aussie dollars, But if any of you can suggest anything in a simialr price range I would be keen to check it out.

A lot of you seem to suggest SVS subwoofers, These look like good gear, I will investigate futher.

hey Spanky,

Welcome to the Forum and the world of Klipsch. Congrats on your recent and upcoming purchases!

Just to expand on what's been said, the advice these days is to match timbre. This means to get sonically and efficiency-matched speakers as much as possible. To do this with center, either get RC25, or if you lay RB25 on it's side, see if you can rotate the horn (they're ususally square and the pattern is 40 x 60, so you need to change if RB is laying horizontal.) I know in RC7, Klipsch uses a 'tapered' array crossover and the center series may have other advantages specific to it. Just stay in the same family and you'll be okay. I don't recommend dualing centers because for the dialog channel, you want the sound to be VERY localized, not coming from two diff sources.

Better than half the Forum folks are now recommending RB type speakers for rear speakers. Seems with DOlby Digital, it makes more sense to have more directional speakers so you can localize where the sound is coming from (rear left, center or right). If you then add side surrounds, the RS would be okay, but most people don't put RS inback.

The RW series is far superior to KS subs 12 should be a good match for you, experiment lots with placement.

Hope the helps, good shopping!

Michael

The more I read and discover I think I have decided on RB-25 for my front mains, A pair of RC-25 for my front and rear centre channel (for 6.1)

The only thing I am torn on is either another set of RB-25's for rear surrounds or RS-25's instead, I must admit I am leaning towards the RB-25's, I currently have a Kenwood 21 series system with Diapole rear speakers14.gif But it has pretty average sound quality and 2 useless 8" subs

But I must admit facing the tweeter/midrange towards me so I get a more direct sound from the surround speakers.

I will also add, I am looking at an SVS Tube subwoofer like the 20-39pci, What do you think of this sub? Should I be looking at the higher Freq model to allow I'm using book shelf speakers?

once again thanks for the help. 1.gif

good choices Spanky, although I don't know that the rear 'middle' speaker is as critical as the front 'dialog' speaker. Another RB might work fine but don't know if you can get a single (maybe split a pair with a friend)

Rear vs surround is a simple quesiton. If your room is long (system on short wall) and you have mounting space, you can use RS series as side surrounds if you wish, although I'd put RB's across the back FIRST, then maybe add sides later.

If your room is wide (system on long wall) this makes it difficult to position side speakers and you have a wide soundstage, so position three rear speakers across back wall.

Hope this helps

Michael

I'm not going to worry about side speakers, The room is not very big, But there has been a lot of talk that a lot more movies will be using the 6.1 (Dolby or DTS) sound standard (front L/R, Rear L/R, front and rear centre channels and of course the Sub channel) So the rear centre may not be that used a lot for now, But at least my system is ready for it as more titles become available (I hope!)

The new Starwars DVD's (I & II) use Dolby Digital 6.1 don't they?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dolby digital and DTS 6.1 formats are just a rear centre channel aren't they?

So what does 7.1 add the sound track? is that the side speakers I keep seeing or effects speakers?

----------------

On 9/14/2004 7:27:25 AM Spanky wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dolby digital and DTS 6.1 formats are just a rear centre channel aren't they?

----------------

Yes, 6.1 has the following:

Left front

Center front

Right front

Left rear

Center rear

Right rear

Mine are currently setup as a 6.1. I think using a second RC-25 as the rear center will work quite nicely. I am using an RC-7 in the rear center (along with the one in the front center)

----------------

So what does 7.1 add the sound track? is that the side speakers I keep seeing or effects speakers?

----------------

7.1 was two rear speaker, in addition to the two side speakers.

In your case, using the gear you plan on getting. You'd use two RB-25s in stead of the single RC-25. Unless you have a wide room, I personally don't think its worth it. I tried it and found that a single center channel type speaker worked better for me in a 6.1 configuration, instead of two book-shelf type speakers in a 7.1 configuration in my particular room. Also, it made setting up easier, as that was less wire to run, not to mention one less speaker I had to mount to the wall. If I find down the road I could use that seventh speaker, I can easily upgrade, as I already have a 7-channel amp.

If you are trying to do this on a budget, I think you will be better served with sticking with a 6.1 setup with a single RC-25 in the rear. To save more money, you could omit the rear center and just go with a 5.1 setup, and always add that sixth speaker later when you get the additional money.

As far as recievers, I don't know what is all available to you in Aussie-land, but any of the similiar priced models of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or Harmon-Kardon seem to work really well with Klipsch. Again, if possible, try to listen to some of the units.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 7:01:29 AM Spanky wrote:

I will also add, I am looking at an SVS Tube subwoofer like the 20-39pci, What do you think of this sub? Should I be looking at the higher Freq model to allow I'm using book shelf speakers?

once again thanks for the help.
1.gif

----------------

The 2039pci should be a great match for the RBs. The "higher frequency" model (2531) doesn't really shift the upper bass cutoff frequencies, just how deep it dives. The 2039 has slightly less output overall (that's the tradeoff for the lower strength) but will match up output wise very well with your RBs. For a brief while I had a 2039 doing low end duty for RB15s and the setup worked jusr fine. If you use a receiver with decent bass management; set your fronts centers and surrounds to "small" with a crossover anywhere from 80-100hz you should be able to get a seemless blend.

Jerry Rappaport

Yes, You are right about the cutoff freq, I suffered brain fade on that one 4.gif. I am going to speak to Customs here in Australia to see what this will cost with Import dutys and taxes.

The more I look at it the more I think I will use the RB25's for all 6 locations, So I will speak to my dealer about a getting a good deal on 3 pairs, I should be able to get a good deal on those,

I'm currently looking at the Pioneer Amp/reciever the VSX-D814-s, It seems well featured and should have enough features and power for what I require, Plus also the Pioneer rep is a friend so I can get it at a very good price. I have read some good reviews about this amp also, So I think it will suffice for what I need to do.

if you often use your system for music (SACD, DVD-A or any other multichannel source) go for 5 or 6 identical speakers.

if you use your system only for movies you can save some bucks in using some RS for the rears instead of the RB.

if your room is small i think 5 or 6 RB is a better choice to avoid reflexions or echo you might get with some RS because they will be too close from the front and the back wall.

The room won't be very wide (about 4 metres) and I'll be setting up a 100 inch 16:9 front projection system, So I won't have to worry about laying the speaker(s) over, And I have decided the RB25's will be my best option for front, surrounds and centres (f/r)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

That will be a very nice system. PERFECTLY matched speakers all around. Shouldn't take up too much real estate either. If you ever change rooms, it would be a simple matter to move your center speaker to back for dualing rear centers and purchase a proper horizontal center dialog speaker. But you're certainly not cheating yourself for now.

Congrats and heres to good listening!