Rotel 1067 or 1056

BruinsFan

What's the difference between Rotel 1067 and 1056 + RB 1070 (mains redirected to provide 7.1 setup)? The 1067 would have more power all around but the 1056/1070 would give more and I would think better power to the mains. There's about a $200 price difference I think - so what else am I missing in this comparison?

I like the 1056+1070 option myself but I would like to hear other opinions.

I'd like to invite you come over to HT Guide Forum "Club Rotel" and hang for awhile. You'll get a variety of opinions on that setup.

Here is my opinion.

The 1067 delivers 100 wpc x7 all channels driven and 120 wpc in stereo.

The 1056 is 75 wpc x5 and 100wpc in stereo.

The RB 1070 is 130 wpc x2.

If you use your system for mostly music then the 1056/1070 combo will probably suffice. If you watch a lot of movies that combo will yeild a weak center channel (only 75 wpc to center). For most theater material the center channel does most of the work and needs AT LEAST as much power as the front mains. I'm not familiar with your speaker setup, but with mine which is RF7(L) RC7 © RF7 ®. It just so happens that the RC 7 is 4 db LESS efficient than the RF7 meaning that it will require more power (at least twice the power) to achieve the same SPL. You should see that although you may receive a modest improvement in the mains you will really cripple your center channel (relatively speaking) by comparison to the straight 1067 setup. You can compensate a bit, as I do, by using a very powerful subwoofer and setting your center channel to small (x over about 100hz) That way the center will do less work and require less power. Of course YMMV.

Jerry Rappaport

Yeah I had considered the center might be the weakest link with only 75w. I run RF5, RC7, RSW15. The RF5 and RC7 are alot closer in sensitivity. I've also heard/read that Rotel is often on par or slightly understates their power output. So 75 watts to all 5 channels if often considered higher then other amps. I don't have much to base that one besides what I have read.

I like the 1056 - because I think it affords an avenue into building a HT with seperates. Start with the 1056. Add a 1070. Maybe add a 1050 for the center later. Or the RMB1075 or 1095 if I want a boost all around.

I guess I just need to know if 75w is enough for the RC7 - or am I going down the wrong path.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 9:55:10 AM BruinsFan wrote:

Yeah I had considered the center might be the weakest link with only 75w. I run RF5, RC7, RSW15. The RF5 and RC7 are alot closer in sensitivity. I've also heard/read that Rotel is often on par or slightly understates their power output. So 75 watts to all 5 channels if often considered higher then other amps. I don't have much to base that one besides what I have read.

I like the 1056 - because I think it affords an avenue into building a HT with seperates. Start with the 1056. Add a 1070. Maybe add a 1050 for the center later. Or the RMB1075 or 1095 if I want a boost all around.

I guess I just need to know if 75w is enough for the RC7 - or am I going down the wrong path.

----------------

75 wpc may not be too bad depending on your listening room size and your thirst for SPL. It's not so much that Rotel understates their power rating as much as others tend to overstate theirs. ie: a Rotel 75w is about as powerful as let's say a Denon's 120 watts.

The 1050 is not a good choice for a center channel as it is not bridgeable like the 1070,1080 etc. You will probably never need the brute force of a 1095, but that doesn't keep you from wanting it!...lol The 1075 is quite a sweet amp, that is what I run for everything except my rears which I run with a 1050 and two RS35s. The 1050s 70wpc is fine for now since there is very little utilization of the 6th and 7th channel even in 6.1 and 7.1 medias. Once directors start to make better use of those channels I may need more...or perhaps not. My RF7s tend to drop as low as 2 ohms near resonance and really require a very stable amp. The 1075 fills the bill nicely and I have never driven it anywhere near clipping even at insane SPL in a huge listening room. There are others with 7 series that would disagree with me however.

You may want to start where you plan to start, then hang on for awhile. Rumor has it that Rotel is preparing 2 new amps: a 100wpc 7 channel and a 200wpc 7 channel. Both these amps are digital amps with small footprint, low power consumtion and low heat output. Knowing Rotel, they will appear next spring. It seems the 1095 has recently ceased production to allow for retooling for the new amps. This information was released at a dealer show by a Rotel rep, and verified by the moderator of 'Club Rotel". Supposidly these are very sweet sounding amps with very high headroom.

James (Bond I surmise)...lol

Most Rotel dealers will discount. You may have to hang around and schmooz for awhile, and maybe you may need to make the first move by saying...OK, I'm ready to buy today, what is the best you can do? Through my experience I have found that the amount of discount varies with the size of the order, natch. You can usually get 10% and sometimes 12-15 depending on a number of variables. Remember, Rotel is low volume, entry level esoteric high end, not consumer electronics like Denon who produces en mass for a mass market. Rotel dealers usually are higher end salons with the accompanying higher overhead, and the margin isn't anywhere near that of the likes of Denon, which tends to be more consumer electronics store oriented. That said...If the Rotel dealer you are at won't deal...find another.

JR

PS You can ask your dealer to check with Rotel for B stock. They carry the same warrantee and go for somewhat less. Not a lot less, but any less is more or less better...isn't it.

PPS Because of their low volume,esoteric nature, used Rotel products have very high resale values. ie: You can see Rotel RMB1075s go for as high as $775 on Audiogon or eBay. My 1075 cost me $875 new a year and a half ago. My now discontinued RSP 1066 processor, which I purchase at the same time for $1325 sells on Audiogon for between $950 and $1K. On the other hand I have a 2.5 year old discontinued Denon 3801 receiver which I can't seem to unload for 1/3 of the $995 I paid for it.