THX Ultra II

ziad_228

I'm intersted in this speaker system. It really sounds like an excellent investment. What is the minimum recommended room size for installing such a system? Would it work for smaller rooms, like 19 X 18? Is that too small? Is it true that music doesn't sound as good? So, it comes with 2 subwoofers, an ampliphier, and 7 speakers. How much does all this cost? What else do I need to buy, oh a reciever? What type of reciever is good for this system?

Another system that sounds nice is the Klipsch Reference Series Cinema 8/10 System. What's the difference between 8 and 10? Finally, how does all this compare to Nakamichi soundspace 12, it's another system i'm considering. Is it any good? Also, anyone knows if Bose LifeStyle 48 sounds better at lower frequencies the LS 35? Thank You!

Z

Hi Ziad,

There is no "minimum" room size, but there can be maximum room size in volume. Your room, even with a modest ceiling height is not considered a small room. Given the strong directivity and efficiency of the LCRs, and the powerful subs, I would suspect that this speaker system is going to do well in fairly large rooms. I have asked the forum moderator to provide some numbers for us on maximum room volume. The Ultra 2 system does give you some choice with two LCR speakers. They only differ in size and efficiency...and price. The larger KL-650 will be able to handle a larger room. Which is appropriate for you will also depend on the acoustics of your room, your listening/viewing distance, and if you like to be able to listen at Dolby/THX reference level.

IMHO a well installed, configured and calibrated Klipsch Ultra 2 system will sound quite spectacular for music. The significant amount of debate over this seems a matter of taste/preference, priorities, and budget. Speakers that are not optimized specifically for film sound will generally have less directivity, and therefore interact more with the room acoustics. Although the resulting sound from these speakers may not be precisely true to the recording, it generally sounds pleasant and is far more foregiving; there is a large margin of acceptability, and clearly a lot of people prefer this.

As a long-time member of the motion picture industry, I can tell you that the complexity of multi-channel film mixes is significantly more demanding of sound system performance. Home theater systems can sound good, then they can sound fantastic; on par with the finest professional THX cinemas. The difference is a matter of reasonable attention to acoustics, choosing the right product for your application/room, proper installation, and set-up/calibration. Of course these are the factors that a good dealer should be asking you about and addressing, certainly a THX-Certified designer/dealer.

I believe the full 7.1 system retails for about $10K. I would think that you could work with your dealer to phase in the system if you decide not to spring for the full system...start with a 5.1 system, then add the back speakers, and second sub (if you need it) later.

Good luck.

Thank You Joe!

What's this New Flagship Reference Premiere Series? U.S. MSRP of $14,500!!!

It's not THX, but how do you think they compare to each other?

Oh, what are your thoughts about Nakamichi, Bose, and Bang & Olufsen?

What's the best system for around U.S. MSRP between $3,500-5000? My brands of preference are Klipsch, Nakamichi, Bose, and Bang & Olufsen! I don't like Bose, unless they improved suddenly.

Thank You!

Sorry, but I can't say I am up to date on those you asked about, except maybe Bose. You are wise to stay clear of them. My biggest problem with Bose is that most of their popular systems are not well suited to HT. By design, they lack directivity/sound power, and their subs are asked to carry too much of the load. This is problematic because it is so acoustically room-dependent, and their subs are "high Q" designs...meaning they are really good at putting out a lot of bass...at one frequency, typically around 60Hz. Your goal should be smooth, accurate, powerful bass. Getting lots of bass is easy these days, but smooth, accurate bass is a balance of room acoustics (sub and seating locations) and, if possible, high resolution electronic equalization.

I recommend to all that they do their homework by reading the white papers located on the Harman site. http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default Dr. Floyd Toole and his lieutenants are the leading minds in the field, and to their credit, they will acknowledge that Harman speakers are not the only good speakers out there.

Regarding electronics, there are so many good choices now. There are plenty of seperates to choose from, and many excellent receivers. Since A/V receivers are so popular, a lot of R&D dollars are going into them, and making them very good for the dollar spent. You might consider the Yamaha line. Their quality is very good, several now THX-Certified, and although far from perfect, they have a fairly effective auto set-up and room calibration capability. If you are not well versed in these things, involve your dealer to install. He should be able to verify that the Yamaha auto-cal has not gone down the wrong path, and will indeed improve the audio performance. There is rumor that the Yamaha receiver line will expand to include a much needed mid-level model sometime soon. But even the RX-V2500 is a very good and affordable product. Note that this is a THX Select model and therefore will not include THX Ultra 2 processing. That will affect how you choose and install the back surround speakers, and reduce your options for multi-channel music listening.

Finally, I thought I might add something to my earlier comments on music listening of a primarily film sound system. I have abandoned two channel listening completely. Dolby PL II and others provide what I consider an excellent music experience that is not dependent on a psychoacoustic effect that only works in one seat. Not to mention multi-channel music mixes via DVD DD and dts, and DVD-A/SACD. My two bits worth.

Simply stated Nakamichi, Bose, and Bang & Olufsen are more of looks then of function. They all fall under the catergory of being the lookers of the bunch without the substance but with the price to make them sound good. Bose has the small looks but has poor sound reproduction, Nakamichi has those looks with the movable elevator like speakers, but in reality there very small speakers in a large stand. And Bang & Olufsen are trendy in having those automated moving glass or pipeorgan like speakers but I doubt they have ultimate sound reproduction in mind. But this is my opinion but I do warn you to read up as Klipsch is more about sound reproduction then looks.... But hey if you have a trendy SOHO apartment, I would buy one of those systems for the living room but I know my klipsch will be in the bedroom 11.gif

----------------

On 9/16/2004 2:15:47 PM Jay481985 wrote:

Simply stated Nakamichi, Bose, and Bang & Olufsen are more of looks then of function...Nakamichi has those looks with the movable elevator like speakers, but in reality there very small speakers in a large stand...

----------------

How true, how true. A few years ago I bought that cool looking Nakamichi Sound Space unit that was super flat and hung on a wall. Looked f*cking sexy as hell, but sounded like sh!t in a plastic bucket. I returned it a few days later. $800 just didn't justify the tin can sound.

ZIAD - while few here have experienced the THX system, and even fewer with the Premier series (if any at all), the generalizations I've heard/read were that the THX system is ideally suited for movies only, whereas I'd assume the premier series is tailored for both movies and music.

How can you compare the Bose Lifestyle Systems, with Nakamichi Soundspace systems vs Klipsch Reference 10? Also do you think I can make a better investment in this price range? It's for my friend, so he has a relatively smaller SPACE AT 15 x 13.5.I'm still cotemplating whether to Wait for the new Premier system, or just go a head with THX Ultra 2. What Do You Think?

Thanks!

Z

Dude First, those Premiere look awesome!!!

and..

Ziad, Dude, those Klipsch THX Ultra 2 could easily drive a real cinema with powerful mind blowing sound. Go listen and compare for yourself. Ziad trying to compare Bose to Nakamachi is fair, but don't try to compare them with Klipsch, it;s just an unfair advantage to klispch in sound quality build quality etc. They are for sure even be better than many "cinemas" out there that i know of. They are real home cinema speakers for the very demanding audience. For me my prefered setup would be 7.2 7x RF 7 instead. And a good room (underground "hehe" :) and speakers properly setup by professionals.

None of the others speakers you mention could even come any close to that even if you don't have space go for the Cinema 10's. I've listened to the THX ultra 2, they are probably among the very best speaker in that price range and could even match speakers costing 2 to 4 time more. Bose nowadays can't even compete with the very low end sony's or aiwa etc..

Yeah and well done Klipsch, yeah you got me addicted to your brand and speakers now. They sound too good, you'd only realise it even more when you see your friends jaw-dropped one after another (some are bose dreamers, some who believe that bose is the ultimate). When you tell them to sit down, and relax get "confi" and you already selected a few good scenes like just before the bomb fell on the ship in Pearl Harbour , jurassic park when the big momma shouts and you put the volume to 0db on the Denon 3805's and i must say that the Sunfire sigs and the Earthquakes did their jobs too they were hidden. And """BANG""" you shake the whole building, there is 30 apartments in my building and yeah shake the whole building, pretty nasty i am. When leaving my house some were left traumatised for life by klipsch and asked me over the phone "hey how do we write that brand again". I say oh Klipsch. Okay welcome to the family. Believe it or not all of these people have listened to many other good brand like B&W, Canton, JM Labs etc.. whatever there is at the dealers and were all impressed by how tiny bose were and thought were big sound. Whyyyy??? But not anymore Su*k**s. I like freaking these people. Don't think me bad Klipshers it's just that i was having a conversation at work and i mentioned that i just bought some new speakers and one of them said what is it, ( they did not had a clue) the were big mouths, i'm a very quiet type at work. They started praising Bose how so amazing and i got sick of it and decided to bring them home to shut them up. 5.gif2.gif11.gif9.gif16.gif12.gif

• 6 months later...

I have a friend who bought the THX Ultra II system. The house was under construction and he was relocated . The system is up for sale for $5000, as far as I know it was never installed. 2 subs, 7 speakers and the amp. He alos has 2 Aragon amps to drive it, but sold the Stage One processer.