Help with Sound Level Meter

Okay, I'm afraid I will again give away my ignorance here.

I've purchased Rad shack analog sound level meter. I've done a search on this board and read all I could, so now, I'm somewhat confused.

I've read to set meter to 75 db. I'm not sure how to do this since range setting on meter go in increments of ten from 60 to 120. Also meter readings go from -10db to 6 db.

I gather I'm supposed to set my volume at 0db when i run test tone on each speaker, I think. Also, do i use different range when setting subwoofer.

You get the picture. In short, can someone give me, who is not quite yet up to speed, step by step directions on how best to utilize meter. About all I'm sure of is that I should sit in listening spot and hold meter away from me and have nothing between meter and speaker.

Thanks for your advise and patience with this newbie. cwm24.gif

This message has been edited by WhalerCane on 07-28-2001 at 10:46 AM

Here is what I do and get good results.It is also what the guys on the Avia AV calibration dvd say.

Set the meter;Weighting C,response slow.They say this about holding the meter;in your seating position hold the meter at arms length out away from you,ear level,mic pointed to the ceiling.

I point mine up,but hold it at ear level where my head would be sitting center of the screen,know what I mean?

Set the range to 70 or 80(what ever you feel good with)tell everyone around to be quiet.Whith the first tone of one of the mains set the volume so the meter will read above the level the meter is set oat.Say 72 or 82.The meter is more accurate above the range set at.

Set all the levels to that setting with your reciever.

Even the sub level,don't change the volume control on the reciever when setting the sub.

The sub will not show a steady reading,but mine usually is just a bit higher than the rest of the other levels.Maybe a dB.The meter will vary when the sub level is being set.All the ones I've done do,yours might not.Anyway you will see what I mean.

During play back(movie)I might sometimes bump the center up a dB or 2.That's just a difference of the ways they are mixed.

Give that a try.It has worked for me for the last 6 years or so,even before the Avia disc came out.

I'm sure others might have a slight variation of what I've tried to explain.

I have done several professional HT installs with excellent results doing just what I have explained.

Any others out there with their ideas?

The only thing I should add is this;try the way I explained first about where the meter should be.At arms lengh in front of you,you might be happier with that way as it will set you surround levels a bit higher than having it where your head would be.I just don't like drawing attention to the surrounds.They should just blend in,not be louder than the rest.

Give it a try.

Hey WhalerCane,

Read this:

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm

If you select 75 db on the range setting and the meter is reading 0db you have actually 75db. Otherwise you have to + or - the readings from the 75db or other range setting. That is the basic of how it works.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

quote:

Originally posted by USparc:

If you select 75 db on the range setting and the meter is reading 0db you have actually 75db. Otherwise you have to + or - the readings from the 75db or other range setting. That is the basic of how it works.

And just to clarify for you, WhalerCane, that you would set the meter at 70 or 80, as SteveP said, as there is no 75db setting. If you set it at 70, you are looking for a +5 on the meter. If set at 80, you are looking for a -5 on the meter.

BTW, you might want to make a mental note of where the volume knob on your amp/receiver is at when you find 75db with the test tones, and you can set the volume back at that level when you play back movies. 75db is kind of a rule of thumb for listening levels in a home theater. The Avia test disk says that theater reference level is actually 85db at the listening position using the pink noise on their disk, but that can be a little loud for some people. Frankly, I like it there!!

Also, has anyone else noticed that when you set the receiver volume level to a given level that produces, say, 75db using the receiver's pink noise generator, and then play the pink noise on the Avia disk, that the volume is a lot different (at a given receiver volume setting) using the Avia disk than your receiver's pink noise generator?

DD