2db drop between 2 khorns - normal???

Dylanl

One more thing, did the tech give you a freq range for the +/-3db difference as being acceptable as a "matched pair"?

Sounds alittle fishy to me, +/-3db is half as loud and/or twice as loud... for K33's who cares if its +/-3db at 1kHz, as the throat opening is going to choke that off anyway, what we are concerned with is the response below 400 Hz. and +/-3db is certainly hearable by the human ear...

DM2.gif

Yeah I agree if it moves with the driver it probably is the driver. Since yours are fairly old I would not just replace one driver I would replace them as a pair.

Regarding the solder joint surface oxidizing on the speaker that should have little or no effect unless it was defective for the beginning and you would have noticed this a long time ago. You could reflow it but I doubt you would hear or measure a significant difference. You are not dependent on the surface area of the solder joint for current flow as much as you are the mean free path of the mass of the solder joint. Solder joints will oxidize over time unless they are conformaly coated.

Well then, it is a driver problem afterall. For the record, +-3db is NOT an industry standard. That's a bunch of crap if you ask me. I work at a proaudio company that deals klipsch products; I think I'll ask around to confirm. I could see a 1dB margin, but even that is a huge one. A speaker that is 3dB louder than another one would require the amp to be turned up twice as loud to achieve the same output. When running near the speaker's power capabilities, 3dB would cause insane problems (and lots of failures). Sorry, I'm done ranting now. It's just wrong on so many levels...

If you have the equipment, you might want to check the ohm load on each driver (don't forget to test it using an AC setting on your measuring equipment).

You mentioned that you examined the speakers and didn't notice anything...did you make sure all the surrounds and dust cap were secure? Does the speaker make any grinding noises when you push down on the driver? (you'll need to push down in the center and not on the side, cuz pushing on the side usually makes it grind). Are there any loose strands of wire visible? What is the condition of the wire going between the speaker leads (where the crossover cables connect) and the speaker diaphragm (the wires that bounce with the diaphgragm). Are they connected securely? (check on both ends). Are there any discolorations at all anywhere on the speaker? If you're feeling bold, you might consider removing the dust cap and checking for anything happening down there. Any problems with the speaker gasket?

You may also want to check the magnets on your speakers. Magnets slowly lose their "charge" over time and this is accelerated by being banged around and all that. As far as testing methods, the only one i can think of is buying a bunch of paper clips and comparing how much each of them holds. If the magnet strengths are different enough, you might be able to feel a drastic difference when pulling something magnetic away from the magnet (like a screwdriver or a big metal rod or something). I doubt your magnets are bad, but you never know. Is the magnet fastened securely?

Was there any time in the past that you noticed any kind of distortion? Have you ever cranked the crap out of these? Any power failures, brown outs, or surges? amp failure? failure of anything upstream? The reason I ask is though it is unlikely, it's possible that part of your voice coil might be damaged on the inside. A few loops less would cause drastic changes.

Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'd really like to see the solution to this problem. This discussion also makes me want to test every speaker I can get my hands onto. that 3dB really blows my mind. I would try calling that tech back and confirming what he said. Something like that would really make me reconsider ever doing any kind of referencing on klipsch products when doing some important recordings. For what it's worth, I never experienced anything like that when listening at Artto's place (he uses khorns from that time period).