Receiver X-over question:

kenratboy

As Magnolia Hi-Fi is being finished, I am DROOLING over the Denon 3805. It is now setup and I have been playing with it a bit. Oh my, what a guy!

Anyway, reguarding the ho/low-pass crossover setting on this bad boy. My POS Sony only lets me do big and small, or 120 Hz or nothing, which sucks! On the Denon, I can choose 40, 60, 80, etc. Hz. for both hi and low-pass setting.

When you setup your speakers as satellites, would you normally set the sub's low-pass at, lets say 80 Hz. and then the speakers hi-pass at the same, or would you want to bo maybe 60 Hz. on the speakers? I assume if you set the hi and low-pass at 80 Hz., there will be some internal overlap as so you would have a nice transition at 80Hz.? I assume you would set the hi-low pass at the same frequency and the internal X-over would make sure there was a nice transition.

Oh god, almost time. Maybe I'll skip the Klipsch and just get some Vienna Acoustics Mozart's and a Theatro for the center 9.gif

blockquote]

----------------

On 10/2/2004 5:03:37 PM kenratboy wrote:

When you setup your speakers as satellites, would you normally set the sub's low-pass at, lets say 80 Hz. and then the speakers hi-pass at the same, or would you want to bo maybe 60 Hz. on the speakers? I assume if you set the hi and low-pass at 80 Hz., there will be some internal overlap as so you would have a nice transition at 80Hz.? I assume you would set the hi-low pass at the same frequency and the internal X-over would make sure there was a nice transition.

----------------

Are you asking what setting on the subwoofer or in the receiver?

When I set the system up with the SvS the cross overs in the receiver are set to 80 and the crossovers on the SvS are set to disable, which will pass whatever frequency is set to the amp. As a rule of thimb I set one or the other. Pioneer has a plus feature which allows for 20 to 20k to the fronts and 80 and below to the sub

(best of both worlds)

----------------

On 10/3/2004 9:33:45 AM marksdad wrote:

hey ken, dude get the speakers, get the klipsch
----------------

I will listen to everything and see what I like - but I am assuming the Klipsch. Discounts will also play a major part - can I get some $2,500 speakers for cheap?

The receiver absolutly must come first, my Sony STR-DE675 is no good for anything better than a little $300 speaker package.

Well, I can only get the Synergies at work, but I can get Definitive Technology, Vienna Acoustics, Boston Acoustics, etc. - I think Def Tech is the only other thing I would be interested in. Again, need to see prices.

However, I have my heart set on a 3805 - I need a crossover that works!

Ahh, Synergies (hmm), Vienna Acoustics (never listened), Def Tech (oooh), and Boston Acoustics (use them in my truck)...

...decisions, decisions.

But as for the 3805, hell yeah man, that receiver is the sh!t. What do you mean by needing a crossover that works? I read your original question up top, but didn't really understand?

----------------

On 10/3/2004 2:48:31 PM nicholtl wrote:

Ahh, Synergies (hmm), Vienna Acoustics (never listened), Def Tech (oooh), and Boston Acoustics (use them in my truck)...

...decisions, decisions.

But as for the 3805, hell yeah man, that receiver is the sh!t. What do you mean by needing a crossover that works? I read your original question up top, but didn't really understand?
----------------

My Sony receiver allows either a 120 Hz. hi-pass for my mains - or nothing. My current speakers want 60 or 80 Hz., but I cannot do that. Running them full range lead to a few MINOR bottoming outs of the woofers (they are designed to run as satellites)

You like Def Tech? I am looking at the 7001's - 2, 10" active and 4, 10" passive woofers in the system and 3000 watts of digital sub amp 9.gif

I heard Boston home speakers were very 'polite' and had very little focus (as in, not as 'accurate' - but not bad) - not my cup of tea.

Vienna? I am concerned they will be to polite and not enjoy a good thrashing with electronic music. At least with Klipsch or Def Tech, there is some serious cone area to take some bass.

We will have a HT room with Vienna Acoustics all around (Mozart's as the mains) and a 92" FP with a InFocus 7205 - yummy! Need to see how it sounds.

Don't worry, I will report back in a few weeks.