blown klf20 tweeter

sdfan

After 5 years of thoroughly enjoyed use/abuse, my tweeters on my klf20s are sounding scratchy. I remember a topic concerning the problem being possibly a bad diaphram vs. a bad tweeter. Can anybody offer a refresher course on this problem. Thanks in advance.

Looking at the product section I see there is a mid and a tweeter. And two 10" woofers.

I'd suggest you first make certain which unit is putting out bad sounds. I suggest using a paper towel cardboard tube as an improvised stethoscope to do some careful listening. I assume it could be either the mid or the tweeter.

The mid and the tweeter horn are made up of three component groups. Too bad we don't have diagrams.

1) The magnet structure with a circular gap.

2) The diaphragm with voice coil attached.

3) The horn (like a little megaphone).

Except in very exceptional circumstances 1) and 3) are too simple to have anything go wrong.

2) is just about always the issue. The voice coil windings usually fail completely. Sometimes there is a partial failure and the heat from overdriving distorts the voice coil so that it binds in the gap of 1).

This is to say if the tweeter or mid is malfuctioning, it just about has to be a voice coil issue.

Based on my work on tweeters on Quartets, and some comments here by others, this is not a big job. You should be able to get a new diaphragm-voice coil assembly from Klipsch and make the replacement yourself.

It is a bit more difficult than replacing a light bulb, but not much. You will have to take the horn out of the cabinet, disconnect some push on electrical connectors, take the little thing apart, and replace the diaphragm and VC as a unit.

Naturally, you can have a third party do it too.

Best,

Gil

Thank you very much for your help. I'm positive its the tweeters and not the mids. Out of curiosity, when I take the tweeter assembly apart, will i be able to tell visually if it's a broken voice coil. Does it actually look like a broken wire or whatnot? Thanks again.

Sdfan,

I can't say what you'll find. In the Quartet tweeters I could not see anything wrong. The wire is very fine. Like a human hair.

I replaced one T-35 tweeter diaphragm too. Again nothing obvious.

In neither case was I doing CSI type stuff.

I'm guessing that there was some disortion in yours. If you can take some pictures, please do so, and even start a topic setting out your experience.

BTW, some of these units have ferro fluid which may MAY look like maple syrup in the magnet gap.

I'll try to post, here, the sheet which came with my tweeter diaphragm. It may take until the weekend.

Best,

Gil