Digital problem with pre-amp

When using the ADC of my pre-amp I am hearing RF static when my cd player is in stop mode. The cd player is a pretty nice Denon dual cd player. I only get this static from the right tray using the digital out into the pre-amp's digital in, which I understand as using the pre-amp's ADC. The left tray and right tray pop upon pushing Play, before the music. Both players have digital noise (a light popping) when paused during playback.

I have tried different cables and both an analog & digital output to the amp.

If I connect this cd player directly to the amp with the digital connection, I get no problems whatsoever. Ican crank the amp and hear no noise on pause, no static on stop, no clicks, nothing. The amp Iused was a new sony SS amp; STRK502.

What's strange is how the right tray of the cd player has that static on every digital input of the pre-amp but not an the amp; the right tray is a cd recorder/player. The cd recorder won't "see" any brand of audio cdr I try, which besides frustrating, led me to believe all the problems were in the cd player.

Now that I have tested on this other amp, I think I should send the pre-amp back first; it's also the item under warranty.

thoughts..?

DC